Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My most recent project...

OK, this is my first time trying to insert photos so lets see how this goes.

The site I am working on now from what I am hearing was used to dump alot of rock form an apartment complex that developed years ago. SO my biggest challenge has been moving these things. THe last time I had to deal with these friggen monsters, I had a JD 160 excavator and a JD 655 Series 2 track loader on site. Unfortunately, it looks like the excavator is coming back for a week. I need to slope the front yard at an angle (about 30%) and put the large stones in strategic places for landscaping. I also plan on taking the larger excavator and digging a pretty big hole to bury the smaller crap stone.

Here is what I am up against...the last shot is what I need these two front yards to look like.
Attached Images

Last edited by thepawnshop; 03-12-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The first pic was messed up...so here it is again:
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2006, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Better call in for a 200...Those things are the size of Volkswagens. You could probably roll them around with a 160 but you might not be able to lift them, espcially on that slope.

Go hard, go fast, or go home
Old 03-12-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Those rocks are not big heck we were moving rocks bigger than that with a 161. The largest boulder we dug out it it was massive a 690 John Deere could just roll it. It would take two machines to lift it so all we did was dig a ledge out on a bank and stuck the rock on the ledge. It was the largest and smoothest boulder we have ever encoutered it was the size of a 1/2 ton regular cab P/U truck.

Those rocks that Doug has if he can have a hydraulic hammer on a mini excavator to split them in half it will make them more managable. You can roll them but with the house being so close it would be pretty crappy if it got away and rolled into the house.

Thats why I meantioned in Doug's Kubota post make sure the machine has plumbing for a breaker sure its hard on the machine but when you get big rock nuggets like in the pictures you need to split them.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno those stones are pretty beat up and will look pretty ugly in the landscape imo...I would bury them in the slope
Old 03-12-2006, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GR...I like keeping the big ones whole when possible...they make awesome landscape pieces. In fact, I have one the size of a VW bug between two lots and a potential buyer of another house wanted to know if I could move it to the lot they were interested in. I assured them that there were many more where this one came from! Sheshovel, I know they aren't the smoothest but hell, I have already buried so many I am running out of room to bury any more!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Member

You can move them around with a smaller machine it just takes a little more effort. When you are building the wall you make sure everything is right before you start moving the rock. Usually with a small machine you only have one shot at it. You can move larger rocks with pulleys and cables if you have a dead man to hook to you can pull a decent size rock with a 2 part line.

A tandem axle dump truck load of wall building boulders is 300-350 dollars a load most residential walls take 2-3 loads. Some projects take 10 loads the boulders are 300-2000lbs.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pretty decent price on boulders for a truckload. Well, I guess you guys have an abundance of them. Hahaha.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

The best boulders are blasted from a big chunk of solid rock they are more uniform and stack the best. Boulder walls are the most economical way of leveling up a area. The only problem is the max height is 4' any taller then it needs engineering and certified.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, I hear ya man. I would have loved for a 6 foot wall I built last summer but the engineering costs and hassle with getting an engineer to actually come out and do the job for us was astronomical.