Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-13-2006, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfstrider
What are some opinions on my pricing? Thanks

How long did it take you? How much do you need to charge for your hourly rate?

Sounds like you may have priced it too low for the time spent there initially. That's your problem though.

Working for neighbors can be sensitive. We did almost 8K worth of work for my neighbor right next to me. So far so good. I'd be an idiot to pass that work/money up. I will pick and choose the work I do for neighbors. Things like lawn treatments I tend to stay away from. Nobody has irrigation and when it gets dry, like it does every summer, and your control practices for weeds becomes useless, seems like you still should be producing a good lawn for them. I'll do landscape projects all day long if that's what they want.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I generally charge $40 per hour with a minimum charge so if it takes you an hour, you should charge 40 per mowing if it takes less, you should still charge 30. and give exactly what you say for as much as you say, do not deviate from it and there should be no hard feelings. if he says; "can u do this?" you say; "I'll be happy to give you an estimate for that".

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have too much time on your hands. This thread is 4 years old. I am surrounded by the handicapped, old and infirm. No way am I opening that Pandoras box. My wife is always having to politely decline the offers to "give me a little pocket money" if I could do a couple of "small chores" for them. Every time I open my garage is like an invitation to wander over and pick my brain.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What's wrong with working for neighbors as long as you get the price you want? I take care of 9 lawns within i block from my house,get the money I ask for and get additional work and recommendations from them.It's the ones that think they are entitled to freebies that you don't want,and once you've figured out who they are,you drop them,and they don't have to be neighbors to try to play you like that. It takes years of dealing with people to build up their trust in you,no amount of advertising can do that for you,just consistantly treating them fairly;eventually they know you so well that they would give you the keys to their house and let you alone in it because they have absolute trust in you.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need to have seperation from work. When I am home I don't want to be bothered. I have all the work I can handle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2010, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in a circle and mow for the next 2 houses over from me. They actually have been some of my best accounts, mow them every Monday.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
You have too much time on your hands. This thread is 4 years old.
LOL 2006-2010 Same old issues for sure...
Old 10-13-2010, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This thread is 4 years old. IPosted via Mobile Device
no wonder the pricing seemed low
Old 10-15-2010, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveintoledo View Post
i feel working for friends, family, or neighbors is a bad idea, too close to home.... if a problem should come up, it could be very uncomfortable...

but charge more for the first cut if a place is in bad shape......other then that id say 35 for about 1/2 acre is pretty good......
I agree with daveintoledo 100%. I have friends, family, and neighbors asking me for lawn service and, honestly, it just makes me uncomfortable. I hate charging said people and I can't work for free, so, I skirt the subject if I can get away with it. Call it a character flaw.
Old 10-16-2010, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
You have too much time on your hands. This thread is 4 years old. I am surrounded by the handicapped, old and infirm. No way am I opening that Pandoras box. My wife is always having to politely decline the offers to "give me a little pocket money" if I could do a couple of "small chores" for them. Every time I open my garage is like an invitation to wander over and pick my brain.
Posted via Mobile Device
My post was for an answer to THE question for anyone else reading,
Not everything is about you bro.

People come out to talk to me all the time-Here's what you do:
Find something that their property needs and when they come over, give them a verbal estimate, then every time they come over, start the conversation with " When were you wanting to do that such and such??!"
They will start to leave you alone or you will get more work out of it. LOL

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape