Click for Weather

Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scrub Eliminator

LF may charge landscaper fees

Lake Forest is a Chicago Suburb

BY LINDA BLASER
STAFF WRITER

Lake Forest is considering adopting a landscaper's fee ordinance to protect residents against unscrupulous service providers.

A preliminary draft of a Lake Forest City Ordinance called for charging $200 for a Class 1 Landscaper License, $300 for Class 2 and $600 for Class 3. Each class is based on the weight of vehicles used.

In addition, landscapers would be required to pay $1,000 per vehicle for a Class I Vehicle License, $2,000 for Class II and $3,000 for Class III.

One landscaper calls the proposed terms "outrageous".

"Rather than a $300 annual fee, which is reasonable, your fee could be in the thousands of dollars, $6,000, $8,000 or $10,000, based on the number and sizes of your trucks," said Bob Kinnucan of Kinnucan Company in Lake Bluff. "The fees and penalties are exorbitant."

"We work all over the North Shore," Kinnucan said. "There is not a municipal license ordinance (anywhere else) that requires the level of fees the city of Lake Forest" is considering.

Some 50 landscapers attended an informational meeting held Tuesday morning in City Hall to gauge feedback on the rough draft of the ordinance, officials said.

"City staff is working with the landscapers to come up with a program to serve the city's needs and to be as fair and as equitable as possible so large and small companies aren't being overburdened," Assistant to the City Manager Marcus Peccia said Tuesday afternoon.

"We want to work hand-in-hand with our landscapers," Carina Walters, management analyst, said Monday, adding that she doesn't expect the ordinance to come before the City Council until late March or in April, if at all.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't live in Chi Town but a lot of the local citys require a lisc/permit that range from $50 to $400 per yr. and when your working in 8-10 it can get expensive.
The good part is that some enforce the code and check that your registered. They do this by the names on the trucks or yard signs or just asking? they look like a neighbor walking over for an estimate.
Once busted theres a fine and the cost of the lisc. so that you can finish the job. Eliminates a lot of low ballers and week end warriors

The bad part is some just take the money. Every ones still working but the guy who paid for the lisc. is starting in the hole. but I noticed a trend that the citys that don't follow up with the lisc. requirments seem to make the news a lot more from fly by nites ripping people off and the residents are starting to demand action.

Also the cities that rquiree a lisc and persue enforcement keep a list that any new clients can call and find out who is legal to work in there city. Great selling point
Old 03-13-2006, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Don't live in Chi Town but a lot of the local citys require a lisc/permit that range from $50 to $400 per yr. and when your working in 8-10 it can get expensive.
The good part is that some enforce the code and check that your registered. They do this by the names on the trucks or yard signs or just asking? they look like a neighbor walking over for an estimate.
Once busted theres a fine and the cost of the lisc. so that you can finish the job. Eliminates a lot of low ballers and week end warriors

The bad part is some just take the money. Every ones still working but the guy who paid for the lisc. is starting in the hole. but I noticed a trend that the citys that don't follow up with the lisc. requirments seem to make the news a lot more from fly by nites ripping people off and the residents are starting to demand action.

Also the cities that rquiree a lisc and persue enforcement keep a list that any new clients can call and find out who is legal to work in there city. Great selling point
Many municipalities around the Chicago area require a license.Most range from 50 to a 100$, some higher, the license fees get steep when your service area includes a lot of surburban towns.These towns require all contractors,not just landscapers.Many of these towns take enforcement seriously, and send out code enforcement officers to check out contractors.Some of these villages are taking in hundreds of thousands, maybe millions from contractor license fees,and they want to get their little hands on every dollar they can.In these municipalities, no license, no liability, contractor don't work.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6'7 330
Many municipalities around the Chicago area require a license.Most range from 50 to a 100$, some higher, the license fees get steep when your service area includes a lot of surburban towns.These towns require all contractors,not just landscapers.Many of these towns take enforcement seriously, and send out code enforcement officers to check out contractors.Some of these villages are taking in hundreds of thousands, maybe millions from contractor license fees,and they want to get their little hands on every dollar they can.In these municipalities, no license, no liability, contractor don't work.

Yes great, You have to pay if you want to play. I would like to see it mandatory in every city WITH STRICT ENFORCMENT. Start with 1k in each city just for the right to work and it would eliminate the part time wannabe

But the enforment and penaltys have to be strict and serious. 10k 1st. time caught with out a lisc. and word would spread like wild fire.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
Yes great, You have to pay if you want to play. I would like to see it mandatory in every city WITH STRICT ENFORCMENT. Start with 1k in each city just for the right to work and it would eliminate the part time wannabe

But the enforment and penaltys have to be strict and serious. 10k 1st. time caught with out a lisc. and word would spread like wild fire.
ahahaha and what happens the day you forget to renew yours?
Old 03-13-2006, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The title to the thread is "scrub eliminator". How exactly will these fees affect the so called "scrubs"? I didnt catch the part about fining homeowners for hiring someone without a license.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What I want to know is how do they define a Landscaper? 100% of my money is derived from maintenance, I do no installs at all. About 97% of my money is from lawn servicing and 3% from bed maintenance. Do I consider myself a landscaper? Nope, I'm a Lawn Service. In my state Landscapers are required to be licensed. Since I do no installs my state doesn't require me to get a license.

A lawn aimed at licensing landscapers does no good if they don't consider lawn servicing to be landscaping.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites
ahahaha and what happens the day you forget to renew yours?
Is your brain connected to your fingers? or do you enjoy just rambling on?

You get a notice every yr that its time to renew, the same as with lisc plates and taxes and your web site and, and, and, well I think even you could understand the concept.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Member

While requiring a license can help keep the industry "professional", I think the LF/Chicago proposal is totally unreasonable.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Paying the fees has nothing to do with how honest you are (maybe how poor you will be), it is a way for them to make money, that is it.