Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2006, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Pintle or ball hitch

I have a friend who looks after a small construction company fleet. He says he prefers a pintle hitch. Says it clunks and rattles more than a ball hitch but is simpler to use and more durable. Anyone have any experience to support or counter this opinion. When I tow it will be short usually less than 50 miles with a 2 ton machine in a tandem dump trailer.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just installed a ball-pintle hitch on the back of my bucket truck. The beauty of it is that when open a ball hitch can be used or a pintle trailer hitch can be used. Got it at Tractor Supply Co. With tax it was $73 and took 20 minutes to install.

I forget the #'s but I think the down force can hold 9000lbs and the pulling is 12,000lbs I think it was. And don't forget you need trailer light wiring on the truck as well and DO NOT install a pintle hitch to a bumper that is not reenforced. Hope this helps.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-13-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sorry to be off topic, but what exactly is the pintle used for and what are its benefits?
Old 03-13-2006, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsDet
sorry to be off topic, but what exactly is the pintle used for and what are its benefits?
The Pintle is used to tow big heavy trailors and loads. To be honest I can't tell you off the top of my head simply because I don't know what the benefit is. I can tell you what te disadvantage is though...backing with a pintle hitch trailer, at least for me (but then again I'm not used to towin a trailer yet either), SUCKS! Damn thing has so much play the trailer goes its own way regardless of where the truck is headed. I do not like backing a pintle trailer up. Ball trailer no problem, the hitch is basicly fixed so the trailer goes where the truck points it without wandering.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-13-2006, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pintle is easier(IMO) to back up to and hook up. You don't have to be right on every time you back up. I also think that the pintle is a little safer and there is less chance of it falling off going down the road. Pintles are usually found on larger trailers, like 5000lbs and up
Old 03-13-2006, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i don't think that an inch or two of play affects my backing of a trailer. i prefer pintle's for one reason safty the are far safer than balls. with a ball trailer you are just assuming that it is latched. i have lost a ball hitch trailer before when the nut striped out in the hitch. with a pintle hitch you have a inch plus of metal on each side not just some cheap stamped steel holding you investment. the few times i have need to repalce a hitch i always go back with a pintle but i would not butcher a new trailer just to have one. if i was to order a new trailer it would only be a pintle. the banging only happenes when you are stopping to fast or accelerating to fast
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 03-13-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

no matter what the ball size is, Too much weight can snap the ball right off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 03-14-2006, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a pro: people stop asking to borrow your trailer to move, haul stuff, tow a car, exc... because they dont have a hitch for it
Old 03-14-2006, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Picture of ...

the hitch you are talking about....
Always used a ball ... 2 5/8
Old 03-14-2006, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise Landscapes
no matter what the ball size is, Too much weight can snap the ball right off!

Hence why you buy the correct rated ball size and stay within the rating!