Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2006, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Ren Question

I have a customer that wants me to seed an area 10500 sqft. Im not sure if my price is in the ball park let me know.
Using my JRCO thatching rake it should only take about 3 hrs to do everything
the area is mostly dirt very few rocks. I ll scratch up the area apply seed, fert and mulch
3hrs @ $45/hr =$135
seed @ 8lbs per 1000 = $147
starter fert. = $67
starter mulch 50 lb bags=$ 290
TOTAL =$639 I make an extra $60 on the materials

Note: this customer is looking to just get something growing as they plan to sell the house in the near future.

Any comment would be helpful
Old 03-16-2006, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerSideLC
I have a customer that wants me to seed an area 10500 sqft. Im not sure if my price is in the ball park let me know.
Using my JRCO thatching rake it should only take about 3 hrs to do everything
the area is mostly dirt very few rocks. I ll scratch up the area apply seed, fert and mulch
3hrs @ $45/hr =$135
seed @ 8lbs per 1000 = $147
starter fert. = $67
starter mulch 50 lb bags=$ 290
TOTAL =$639 I make an extra $60 on the materials

Note: this customer is looking to just get something growing as they plan to sell the house in the near future.

Any comment would be helpful
I look at things different then others.You are making $135 for the day[that sucks]even though it is only taking you about 1/2 a day to do the job.If you don't have another job lined up that day you only worked 1/2 a day.Correct me if im wrong but your basically installing a 1/4 acre lawn for $639 bucks[please stay out in eastern CT,don't come my way LOL]If you don't have anything lined up for the rest of the day your looking at grossing $16.87 per hr[8hr day]
Old 03-16-2006, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I would be at least $.10/sq ft. That would be no grading at all. Seed/fert/mulch.
06 Exmark 60" 30hp Lazer Triton
06 Navigator 20/48
06 Kubota L3430
Old 03-16-2006, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies. I primarily do maintenance: mow, clean-ups. fertilizing, etc etc. Im trying to get this pricing stuff down. I would actually be making $195 for 3hrs I dont give my customers my discounts for supplies so I would make a little money there. As far as it being my only job in a day, not likely. I ll schedule more work in on that day to keep me busy. Id rather take the day off then get all my equipment ready for a 3hr day. Hey echovalley since your in CT rouighly what would you charge. I want my prices competitive not Low-ball
Old 03-16-2006, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Member

at least you are smart enough to say you want your prices to be competitive and not low ball. Where I am at there are a couple companies with new sales people who are whoreing the price down. sorry for the language but thats the best way to describe it. They are beyond low balling, we bidded out two jobs and they were 60% cheaper than we were. For us to the job at the price they gave them we would be making literlaly no money at all. Might even lose when insurance and everything figured in. But every job that we lose we usually have back within 3 months. We dont do residential either, just estate homes, and commerical mowing.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats some cheap seeding indy!!!! Do you want to do any subbing for me in Pa. I would get anywhere from 2000.00 -3000.00 that would include prep, seed, fert, and straw.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Steve what does you prep include? are you using a tractor w/ a power rake?
cause if you get $2000-3000 for 10k then Im gettin myself a tractor
Old 03-17-2006, 06:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

skid steer with rockhound, fine raking, if they would need topsoil that would be extra. There isn't alot of competition in this area for lawn installs, nobody likes to do it so we can get a higher price, I usually figure .10 sq ft. to prep, 15-.20 to seed.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Down South we average a dime for prep and 6-8 cents for seeding. The average size lots down here are 8-10k sqft. I hydro-seed and make great profit with it.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

GreenerSide........you're worth more!

I look at every job as though it is going to be my only job for the day and have a set minimum for that. Most times I schedual 2 small jobs for one day, my buddy, Murphy's law, comes to visit. Where I have been hurt in the past, is thinking small jobs have the smaller prices.......I have changed my thinking and now approach them and charge more than I would a larger job.
If the client moans, that's ok......build a reputation built on quality and service and clients that are bottom feeders with all the "poor me" stories in the world will shed away.....and you will still be in business! "Grinders" are always out there, but isn't it interesting that these folks will flip the house and make solid bank no matter what your price may be? Sell your jobs on quality and service with price being the secondary issue......it works in the long run!