Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2006, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

95 Toyota: What to look for?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a 95 Toyota pickup tomorrow and would like to know what to look for, this would be my first import truck so, i'm a little green behind the ears. I've heard nothing but great stuff about toyotas so I've been looking for the right one for some time now.

its a 1995, 4cyl, 4x4, 5 spd manual. new clutch in october 05, new timing chain just last month in Feb 06. It also has a new radiator & brakes, new oversize tires. It has 120K mi.

Talked to the guy on the phone tonight and he says it has some surface rust above the wheelwells in the back, but thats about it.

What should I look long and hard for tomorrow?
Old 03-13-2006, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rust is toyota's weakness...Look hard at that.

It's going to feel a little gutless with the 2.4 litre 4, but that engine will run forever. Especially since the chain's been replaced already.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

is this for pulling a lawn trailer behind it or for personal use?? if its for "commercial" use i would definitly check the frame and to see about the hitch/bumper mount, and what shape its in....i have learned my lesson about this one
Old 03-13-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a 1995 toyota tacoma with a 2.7, auto, 4x4 and use it to pull a 16' trailer loaded with to zero turn mowers. It pulls all of it, but we did put a brake box in the truck to help stop it all. We have owed a 87,91,and this 95. The best one is the 95. Toyota's are good running but when it comes time to find used parts it is a little hard. I would say buy it.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have heard about the rust problems they all fall victim to. I plan on doing a top to bottom inspection for that. I've done a frame rebuild on two Jeep CJ7's before, so I'm not too worried about the frame/body but rather any mechanical quirks.

the truck will be used for my "light days" personal/work truck. I've got an '05 F350/PSD for hauling stuff. I currently need a grocery getter and non HD truck. I drive about 30K miles a year and diesel is killing me, plus killing my 36K mile warranty on the truck
Old 03-14-2006, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a 89' used 4cyl, a 91' new 4 cyl and a 94' new 6 cyl and now a 96' 4Runner 6 cyl,

Great trucks.......have never failed me.... As for the rust....one that age really should not be rusting like that. The major rust problems were solved in the redesign of the early 90's......... My 96' has no rust... I prefer the 6cyl.....but the 4's will run forever......

Why was the timing chain replaced already??

Derek

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 03-14-2006, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm not sure why it was replaced, but I'm guessing because of the typical failures they have @ 120-140K miles. I'll ask him about it.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

From my Toyota experience timing chains don't break.....that is why they go with chains. I had well over 200,000 on each of the 2- 4 cyl and never had a chain replaced.... Just something to think about....

D

'My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me as we try to change it.' - Barack Obama
Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i was reading that a lot of them have the timing chain replaced @ 120K miles on a couple toyota forums.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

OK ....well what can I say..... I never did it.... But if it has been done you will probably never have to think about it.....

D