Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-14-2006, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What are the benifits of mulching over bagging?

I am expanding into lawn care this spring I want to know how I can sell mulching over bagging. I already did this to referal, I told him that I only mulch because its better for the lawn (I was thinking nitrogen or nutrients, I read about this in another thread lol) then he said something about he believes in mulching too, something about what comes from the earth should return to the earth.

I then realized I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just don't want to bag because its a pain in ***.

Can anybody suggest some info regaurding the merits of mulching or bagging?

I need to make a salespitch before the season up here really starts.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching is better for the lawn by providing nutrients back into the soil. That in turn feeds the grass promoting new growth. This makes your job more efficient which in turns saves your customers $$$.

Bagging provides no benefits for the lawn. Clippings take up a large amount of space while decomposing. Bagging takes more work resulting in higher fees to provide the service.

Others will add more...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mulching is better for the property returning the nutrients back to the soil. The only problem in my area is that the lawns are growing like mad in the spring and doesn't rally allow us to mulch without having to mow a lawn 3 or 4 times. Same thing in the fall with all the leaves. The summer months are really the only time we can get away with it.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
Mulching is better for the lawn by providing nutrients back into the soil. That in turn feeds the grass promoting new growth. This makes your job more efficient which in turns saves your customers $$$.

Bagging provides no benefits for the lawn. Clippings take up a large amount of space while decomposing. Bagging takes more work resulting in higher fees to provide the service.

Others will add more...
I totally agree

In spring, watch the amount of n put down

It's important to never remove more than 1/3 of leaf blade for the health of the turfgrass!

If you are mulching, and removing more than 1/3 of blade, yard will look poor!

I control the nitrogen on the turfgrass, very low spring n, and still cut every 5-6 days for ~ 4 weeks in the spring

removing clipping, you remove ~ 30% nutrients, also removing organic matter, and water, since the blade is mostly water
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-14-2006, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only time I do bagging is when its to long to mulch and it clumps.

6.5'x10.5' dual axle trailer-FULL of equip.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idealtim
The only time I do bagging is when its to long to mulch and it clumps.
Short and sweet (your advice, not the grass) something I'm going to put in a sales pitch.

Just now a lady phones, she's my snow customer and she asks if I'm doing lawns this year I said Yes.

Basically she wanted it for the same price that I do the snow, I told her lawns will cost more. She told me she wants whoever is the cheapest and last year it was done for free by a friend of the family, she's on a pension and has to control costs to make ends meet.
I also have a problem collecting from her for snow...

She knows more about lawn care than me, she tells me there are no obstructions in her backyard, that maybe I can do it every 10 days instead of every week like she would really like.

I really thought she was playing me. I told her minimum 20 bucks a cut but I only mulch and if it has to be bagged she should get that FRee guy back. Basically spring is in 4-6 weeks, I will look at her lawn then...

I don't want to be a lowballer but I only have 3 customers,

Seriously I'm really a window cleaner Lawn care is a new business to me and I think there are some real sharp customers out there. I think I'll give her an ultimatum, my price and my way or hire a mexican if you can find one in canada.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Member

The best reason of all is TIME. Just think of how long it would take you to mulch every lawn on your route. You would probably only get about half of your route done. Mulching looks just as good (as long as the grass is not knee high) as bagging. I have mulched even high grass, and the owner comes out astonished and asked me if I bagged it. I told him no, but I did have to run over it twice in opposite directions. I sold him on that!

Best regards,
Tim
RedMax shaft trimmer Model#BCZ2400S BRAND NEW! $250
Sthil handheld Blower/shreder Runs good! $75

http://cgi.ebay.com/LANDSCAPE-MOWING...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cklands
Mulching is better for the property returning the nutrients back to the soil. The only problem in my area is that the lawns are growing like mad in the spring and doesn't rally allow us to mulch without having to mow a lawn 3 or 4 times. Same thing in the fall with all the leaves. The summer months are really the only time we can get away with it.

Same here...but if I can double cut a lawn on a rider vs. catching it I will.Some customers you need to explain this to so they understand what you are doing in there yard,others will just let you work.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICE
The best reason of all is TIME. Just think of how long it would take you to mulch every lawn on your route. You would probably only get about half of your route done. Mulching looks just as good (as long as the grass is not knee high) as bagging. I have mulched even high grass, and the owner comes out astonished and asked me if I bagged it. I told him no, but I did have to run over it twice in opposite directions. I sold him on that!

Best regards,
Tim
I don't understand your paragraph. If I interpret it right, you're saying mulching is faster?
Old 03-14-2006, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Lawn
Same here...but if I can double cut a lawn on a rider vs. catching it I will.Some customers you need to explain this to so they understand what you are doing in there yard,others will just let you work.
I wouldn't want to double cut anything but if I understand this, during spring the grass may grow so fast you either have to cut it every 5 days (as oppossed to 7) or bag it or double cut it.

What about those 36" wb they look like they throw the grass out the side? Do they mulch?