Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2000, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I already committed to removing the trees. Plus I'm getting decent cash, and I plan to resell the wood as firewood this fall. So that's money on top of the initial cash I'll receive. I know it's a big job. Going to take a full day. Not looking forward to having rubberized arms afterwards.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you sure its a 4 ft diam. tree?<p>that is very BIG!<p>Just want to check.<p>If you are going to do this, and the contract is signed, how are you going to remove the wood. 4 ft pieces are HUGE. You'll be cutting forever, and still, the pieces will be HUGE. <p>I don't how you would split those even.<p>Are you renting a chipper also?<p>or can you discard all the branches on site?<p>What type of tree is it? (should of asked this first) <p>If its that big, it may have value. You may be able to get someone who will PAY YOU for all the logs and do all the work. If this is the case, DON'T start cutting. YOU will need full size logs to sell it. You could get away with doing nothing, getting paid for the job, and then getting paid for the wood. Big $. Definitely investigate if you haven't. <p>steveair<p><p><br>
Old 04-06-2000, 06:10 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Jason.......I own a tree and lawn care service.......I've taken some bigggg stuff down......It sounds like your best bet is either buy a used 044 and up or go to your nearest rental place and rent the biggest saw they have....unless you are planning on using a saw that big very much......it won't make much sense to invest 500.00 and up on a saw like that.....hope this helps
Old 04-06-2000, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steve,<p>The trees are pine. For removal, I'll be cutting them up short and dragging to my trailer. As for splitting, I'll do that this fall, during my slow time. As for limbs, I've got a big burn pile, so I'll burn them. Plenty of storage where I live. I'm on five heavily treed acres in country.<p>Very good point about calling in somebody to do the work for me and getting paid twice. But I'm going to skip that route. I want to keep the wood, for I plan to sell firewood this winter along with plow snow to make ends meet.<p>Millertime, and Wayne: Sounds like you like your Stihls. From what little experience I've had with them they are great saws. I'll probably buy a used 044. Saws are plentiful around here, this is a logging community.<p>Thinking I might buy one today, it's snowing here and really don't feel like finishing a cleanup I'm in the middle of in the snow.
Old 04-06-2000, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would defenatly rent a big saw how often will you be cutting trees that big, buy a smaller saw because you will use that all the time i agree that stihl is the best, the start fast and have very little vibration<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-06-2000, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Get a husky... just trust me!!!
Old 04-06-2000, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I gotta Stihl 029 and love it. I appears to be very well made and easy to service. I don't use it alot and what's great is that it can sit all Winter and be fulla crappy gas and still start right up. Can't do that witha Homelite.<p><p>----------<br>D. Tom<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have a dolmar dealer in your area I would purchase one of those. They are a high torque chain saw. Now you said you had a makita chainsaws in your area now those saws are made by dolmar and usually a little more $$$ but both are identical except for the color.<br>
Old 04-06-2000, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Buy anything but a Husky. I have one,new, two years old,257 modle. Every time I need a saw it will not start for some strange reason.Glad I kept my old Mac.
Old 04-06-2000, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl all the way. I own a little 021 that is about five years old and it still runs like new. My stihl dealer always has parts for it. I ran it over once with the truck, oops. It took it with the exception of the safety bar and the bar and chain. It also wears out the gear on the clutch, but I think that has more to do with me not keeping proper tension on it than any thing else. I would like to get the 009 though for doing palm trees, which is what I mostly use the 021 for