Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Wasting time on quotes?

This is my first year getting into the business, and I have landed a few clients already. But my comment is about all the posts complaining spending too much time on quotes. Before I became a farmer, I worked as an estimator in the commercial construction industry. I spent anywhere from 4 hours to 2 weeks on a quote, and my success rate was around one out of every 30 or so. So don't get discouraged. It is the same in every industry, and if you put in the work, you will eventually reap the benefits.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Selling and quotes are just part of the job and should be considered as overhead. Just time that has to be payed for.
I believe that most that complain about the building stage are also the ones that sell work at $20.00 per lawn and don't realize all the extras it takes to run a business. Pay little attention to them as they will be the ones that go away before the year is out
Old 03-15-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMLAWN
Selling and quotes are just part of the job and should be considered as overhead. Just time that has to be payed for.
I believe that most that complain about the building stage are also the ones that sell work at $20.00 per lawn and don't realize all the extras it takes to run a business. Pay little attention to them as they will be the ones that go away before the year is out
yea well i tryed to price to my opperation costs and ppl dont want to pay around here. I did 10 estimates, and only one agreed for 18 dollars on less then an 1/4 acre and then he called me back today and said that his grandson will mow his lawn. Which I think is a line a bs, i just plain and simplely lost it to the guy from last year that was doing it for 16.50. bc thats where he was stating that he was charged last year and showed the contract. i explained that i offerd edging once a month and he agreed to 18.00 signed contract and also agreed to a spring clean up for 80 dollars bc it hasnt been cleaned since last year still old leaves and fallen trees in the lawn. every other qoute is the same way I was well over priced. Even at 18 im still to expensensive.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosty
yea well i tryed to price to my opperation costs and ppl dont want to pay around here. I did 10 estimates, and only one agreed for 18 dollars on less then an 1/4 acre and then he called me back today and said that his grandson will mow his lawn. Which I think is a line a bs, i just plain and simplely lost it to the guy from last year that was doing it for 16.50. bc thats where he was stating that he was charged last year and showed the contract. i explained that i offerd edging once a month and he agreed to 18.00 signed contract and also agreed to a spring clean up for 80 dollars bc it hasnt been cleaned since last year still old leaves and fallen trees in the lawn. every other qoute is the same way I was well over priced. Even at 18 im still to expensensive.
Dont give up, the good accounts are out there, just keep at it and you will find them. I see your from Rochester. Do you know Steve? He is like 19 or 20 and does about $2million a year, thats what he says anyway.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Imagine if you didn't have any estimates to do, lol.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Kruger
Imagine if you didn't have any estimates to do, lol.
Yea, Free time does not pay well, does it
Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Hand starting to cramp from all the signing...

Two solid weeks (not including "prospect time") every season of filling out contracts, typing letters, stuffing, sealing and stamping envelopes. Printing and folding THOUSANDS of flyers (actually Office Max does that ), then becoming a contortionist to stuff them into mailbox flags. It always feels like a pipe dream, until the phone calls start rolling in...
Keep your head up, there's a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

theirs no vision at the end of the tunnel, except working for the same bucks u can be making at walmart with less head aches, less work, and a guaranteed paycheck every week with out thinking will this moron pay me or did i just mow it for the hell of it. Maybe in hollywood or in multi millon dollar house area's you can make some money but not mowing suburban or city yards.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Member

So I assume this all means that you will not be giving me estimates?
Old 03-16-2006, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

$18.00 What the F**@

There is know way I'm going to unload my trailer for $18.00 for 1/4 ac. yard. My minimum is $30.00 per yard. In Texas to many yards need to be mowed to worry about deadbeats!

Good Luck