Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-05-2000, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning on purchasing a chainsaw. I have a big tree removal job monday. I really wish I would have bought one earlier, on a couple other jobs this spring I removed some trees with a bow saw, talk about unproductive. <p>Kind of leaning towards Stihl, but am open to suggestions. My dealer also carries Husqvarna. And another dealer carries Makita.<p>Wondering what everybody would recommend. Looking for a medium sized saw.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 029 farmboss stihl and love it. Had it for years and its been abused for years, but still runs like new. We also have a smaller 009 that runs great, just floods alot. The 029 is great for most jobs. Can't imagine really needing much more, unless you do a lot of big tree work all the time. It wears me out by the end of the day usually. <p>steveair
Old 04-05-2000, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are tackling any large diameter stuff you'd better be careful.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, was looking at smaller stihl's the other day. They have a 019 (I think) with the quick gear drive tensioner on the side (no screw driver needed) thats good for smaller work and handy to have around. I've heard its a good saw and makes tightening chains easier. Stihl now has a lot of lower priced, what I call 'homeowner' models out too. I've heard to stay away from them. They may be 100 or so cheaper, but not worth it. Talk to your stihl dealer, they will give you the rundown I'm sure.<p>steveair
Old 04-05-2000, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No matter what you get, don't forget the most important word:<p>&quot;TIMBER!!&quot;<br>
Old 04-05-2000, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the help so far. Actually the job I have coming up is for some big trees. The nice thing is they are already down, courtesy of a wind storm. I wouldn't tackle a big tree if it was standing. I'm guessing the base of the trunk of the biggest tree is 4' in diameter. Was kind of thinking of something along the lines of a Stihl 044. But open for ideas on any brand.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a BIG saw for 4&quot; inch trees. You could cut those with a well sharpened machete and save yourself a load of money!<p>Just kidding. You do not need a saw anywhere near as big as the 44. You'll hate it if you use it all day cutting &quot;brush&quot; like that.<p>Think much smaller, especially if you don't do all that much tree work. <p>It would be like using a tank to shoot a bird when all you need is a .22.<p>steveair <p>
Old 04-05-2000, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steve, the tree in question is 4 feet not 4 inches. Sorry about the misunderstanding there.
Old 04-05-2000, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Big difference. And my fault!!! Sorry for that. But....<p>And my advice, <p>HIRE A TREE SERVICE!!<p>You'll need a loader to move those logs.<p>steveair<p><br>
Old 04-05-2000, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Have Stihl blowers, Stihl trimmers, and of course..Stihl chainsaw. We use the 029 and it is great for our use. Will handle large and small..Good power, light weight..4 years old, cuts 12-15 cords a year, which isn't a whole lot, but more than most unless you are a logger by trade, and it &quot;stihl&quot; starts and runs like new. A friend of mine has the 039 and it has all the power that I would ever want along with an 18&quot; bar instead of the 16&quot; bar that is standard on the 029. I highly recommend an 029 or 039. You won't regret the purchase.<p>----------<br>Bryan..Heartland Lawn Care<br>heartlandlawn@hotmail.com