Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2006, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsvc's
tractor with all attachments new can run upwards of 38,000
ztr w diesel maybe 9-10,000 ( depending on the dealer and model). big difference in price

But tractor with all attachments can earn that back in a cple wks and it will still be worth close to 38K
Old 03-26-2006, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

your planning on building a house some time so I would say tractor not only are you going to mow but so many other things. Move dirt, put in your own yard,grade driveway so maney options with a tractor and then when the house is built then you could get the Zt mower of your choice. 60 or 72 what ever your choice the 72 will probably save you about 45 min or so.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

and when your done with tractor sell it for virtually the same price.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Member

BEST THING TO MOW 10 + ACRES WITH IS A GOOD MOWING COMPANY CONTRACT!
Old 05-11-2006, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
tractor pulling an 11' gang mower. Plus you can use the tractor for other things. Buy a back hoe and put in tile for water rent yourself out to bury water and septic lines etc etc. Tractor will pay for it self, a mower will only cut grass faster

Agreed. My old man has a 35hp diesel john deere with a 3 point hitch. You can mow at bloody 25mph with it.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aDreamSoReal
Agreed. My old man has a 35hp diesel john deere with a 3 point hitch. You can mow at bloody 25mph with it.
LOL Hit a ground hog hole at that speed and see what happens
I would get your self a ZTR ...WITH THE 72" DECK...If you decide on a tractor wich would be a good add on later on...Learn the safty rules befofe trying all those fun things that the tractor can do...Me being an ole time farmer has seen a lot of bad things happen with them they will do things that you will never think that will happen as a beginer...good luck and be carefull
Old 05-11-2006, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Nate,

A couple more things for you to consider ............. 1. Most of these guys that are telling you to go spend 30K on a tractor are, like me, really "into" doing all the projects a tractor makes an easy job of. They are not considering the possibility that you do not want to, or have any interest in, doing all of these different things you can do with a tractor. Maybe all you want to do is mow your 10 acres and keep it looking nice. And that takes us to point number 2. Most pasture land is pretty darn rough to be doing with any size ZTR. I also have about 10 acres of pasture. I have both tractors and ZTRs. My pasture land is covered with nice looking grasses and I would love to be able to mow it with one of my big ZTR units. However, the ground itself is pretty rough and because of this it would actually take me much longer to mow it with a ZTR than it does with my tractor and brush hog.

May I suggest .............. drive your car or truck over some of the pasture. If it bounces you around, forget about a ZTR. You'll have to go with a tractor and PTO brush hog or finnish mower. If it's a fairly smooth ride, then definitely go with a large 60" or 72" ZTR. And, with a ZTR, if you go with one of the major commercial grade brands and decide after awhile it just isn't working out for you, it will bring a good re-sale price. If you end up having to go with a tractor, forget about this site and go do a bunch of reading on www.tractorbynet.com

Good luck
Old 05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I think a simplicity cobalt there real nice.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Put up a fence ($4k) 10 head of cattle ($3k) water as required and by the time you finish the house you sell off the cattle for profit. The pasture is now ferilized and ready for reguler mowing. Make friends with you neighbors and you can borrow their tractors when needed. You just purchase (from sale of cattle) a 72" ZTR (less costly) and mow their acerage in exchange for using their trackor. Win-win-win situation.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am going for the tractor with a batwing mower. Even a kubota ZD-28 with a 72" deck is going to take forever plus cost $11,500.

48"/56" WALKER GHS 26hp EFI

Kubota B7500 Tractor with loader, blower, cab, box, aerator

F-350 Dump w/ plow and spreader

Brown BedEdger For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalCreek
My favorite reason to own a walker, because it makes others jealous