Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-27-2001, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I took a look at the Bullrider and liked the "fixed" position, but it looked to me like I could improve on the design since I would never want to use it in the trailering" position. Seems like it would be a WHOLE lot cheaper to have a welder buddy make one than to buy one. One problem: Where can I find castering wheels with bushings, like the ones on the Bullrider or the ones on my Grasshopper front mount deck? Anyone out there ever contemplate building your own sulkey?

04-27-2001 10:41 PM
Old 04-28-2001, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscapers Supply catalog has caster wheel assemblies for mower decks.

I'm planning to build a trailer sulkie for my 46" w/b. It's a straight forward fab job, wheels and tires of every size are available everywhere. I'll make mine from square tube so its easy to weld, a comfy seat and a shot of paint will save a lot of wear and tear on the old body!

Paul
Old 04-28-2001, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As far as wheels and casters, and a ton of other stuff, check out Grainger. They have it all on their website. Their printed catalog is over 3,000 pages, of fine print. They only sell to businesses, not the general public. They also have more electric motors than you can shake a stick at! Welding supplies, tools, power tools, parts, everything.

http://www.grainger.com

~Chuck

Old 04-30-2001, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I have built one. If you have the equipment and time, do it for a hobby. If your going to hire someone, just buy the name brand you will save time and money- there is more to it than you think.
Old 05-03-2001, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about building one myself. But I'm worried about the balance - how the rider's weight is distributde over the wheels.
If I ever see the new TORO 2 wheel platform sulkie, maybe I can get some ideas from that.
If the riders weight isn't balanced right, the mower will either spin or pop wheelies too often!
Anoter source for casters is Northern Tool, theirs aren't as good quality but they are less expensive.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 06-02-2001, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Boozoo
I agree with Cut-rite if you can wait let it be a winter project, you need to take your time and do it right the first time after all your going to have to look at it for years to come. I had also built one last winter. Spot weld it togather untill you have a chance to try it then if every thing is ok run the beads.

Do you have a surplus store in your area? They sometimes have odds and ends that are conciderably cheaper.

Last edited by T-Bone; 06-02-2001 at 10:49 PM.