Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2006, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When measuring out sq. ft...

(I bought a walking measurer)

Do you get the sqaure feet off the perimetre of the property? I'm asking, even though this seems counter-intuitive, because on justmowit site they say sq. ft. before alteration. I think that means house, driveway etc.

Or do you want just the square feet of what you are actually going to cut? keeping in mind trimming, trees...
Old 03-18-2006, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not on cutting,but on fertilize applications it saves you with no guessing.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Break everything into small squares...Lets start in front measure across the front and from the street to the end of the grass near the house, multiply together and write down the answer. The measure the length and width of the side yard, back yard, and other side yard, write those numbers down...add them to the front numbers and you have square feet of the lawn...
Old 03-19-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I believe justmowit and others use the total square footage to get a rough idea of the turf square footage, assuming most houses are the same size and so forth.

Like mentioned, just break the lawn into different areas if you want to measure the turf areas only. You should measure this if you're doing treatments so you can accurately judge how much product to buy.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm doing this (keeping track of EVERYTHING) to learn as much as I can, as fast as I can about lawn care. But that's a good point about fertilizer as I intend to offer that service.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the easiest thing to do is figure length x width on prop to get total sf. 7500
then figure same on home 1250
then figure same on drive 120

now add home and drive together you get 1370 sf

subtract that fro the total sf of 7500 and you get 6130 total sf of lawn to be treated
Old 03-19-2006, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the easiest thing to do is figure length x width on prop to get total sf. 7500
then figure same on home 1250
then figure same on drive 120

now add home and drive together you get 1370 sf

subtract that fro the total sf of 7500 and you get 6130 total sf of lawn to be treated with chemical
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nice post bfmne. Thanks, that seem a bit faster in fact across the front of lawn while measuring i can also aproximate the the house and drive way demensions. That's a great way.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Kruger
Nice post bfmne. Thanks, that seem a bit faster in fact across the front of lawn while measuring i can also aproximate the the house and drive way demensions. That's a great way.
Unless they've got alot of beds, a patio, a shed, a pool, etc. to deduct.....
Old 03-19-2006, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy_Kruger
Its not all about speed of the estimate...

Here is my routine...it is the same for any lawn and I have measured thousands...

1. Knock on front door and greet the potential client
2. On the way back to the truck to get the measuring wheel, stick Ph meter in the ground with the truck keys next to it (that way you don't leave the meter behind)
3. Measure the front sides and back looking at the lawn for signs of insect activity, disease, or other issues. This is why they called you.
4. Take note of Ph and water content (Kelway) and retreive meter.
5. Go to truck and write out the lawn analysis sheet noting any problems you may have encountered and giving recomendations and pricing.
6. Go knock on door again and sell the program specifically addressing issues you have encountered and can remedy.

Now who is going to sell more programs? You who will walk up to the front door and says $50 bucks will do her, or me who will say " Mrs Fudge while inspecting your lawn I noticed a bit of Red thread which the nitrogen in the first application will take care of, if the issue persists we can treat it but at the moment I would suggest a careful monitoring, also you have some European Chafer grub activity in the back near your neighbors property line, the merit in our program will clear this pest up...while I was walking along I also noticed that your Mountain Laurel have a touch of Lacewing injury our tree and shrub care program will return these shrubs to a healthy state...The price for your lawn will be $75 under our program..."