Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-17-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

How Do You Think it Will Affect Us?

This article just came up on the CNN website this evening. It appears that California regulations will become nationwide soon. Any opinions?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/17/ep....ap/index.html
Old 03-18-2006, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I believe better air quality will be regulated more stringently, and soon.
However, the aspect not addressed in the article is whether or not the small engines will be grandfathered or not.
As it exists right now, certain emission standards exist which predicates complete replacement of some, older technology, small motors.
I, personally, like the Stihl 4-mix system and am in the process of re-equipping my crews with these tools.
I am not a tree hugger by any stretch, however, we need to be responsible in our industry, and particulate hydrocarbon emissions is just one area we can improve upon.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Member

To some degree we are already under Calif restrictions because of imports and interstate sales.

I think we'll barely notice it. The small engines have been changing a lot and my guess is that the new generation is already here.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

On the one hand, I'm all for it because I'm pro-conservation. But on that same note, I question whether reducing emissions will reduce the effects of global warming.

In order to burn fuels cleaner, manufacturers are designing engines that run hotter (considerably and noticeably so), which on one hand reduces emissions, on the other it pours even more heat units (btu's) into the atmosphere.

Where a car engine of the 70's may have produced 50 thousand btu's at idle, today's motors produce closer to 80 thousand btu's while idling (a considerable, and noticeable difference). If we are now to design engines that produce even more heat (say 100,000 btu's at idle), I question whether cleaner exhaust outweighs the factor of increased heat.

Because if a million cars are idling for one hour per day, at 80k btu that's 80,000,000,000 (80 billion) btu's going into the atmosphere. Meanwhile, I suspect the actual number of engines idling is closer to a billion cars / hour / day, and if we're to take a hotter engine that may produce 100,000 (or more) btu's / hour, suddenly we are adding 100,000,000,000,000 btu's to the atmosphere every single day, and possibly even more than that.

Lets remember, one btu unit is what it takes to change (and maintain the change) the temperature of one cubic foot of air by one degree for one hour. Whether this degree is celsius or fahrenheit I do not know, but it makes little difference when we're talking about 100 trillion cubic feet of air being changed (in this case heated) by one degree for one hour (or maybe longer or even hotter), per day.

Granted, the cleaner atmosphere will help the heat escape into outer space better, but only so much heat will escape, even with a 100% clean atmosphere, heat is retained by the simple fact that air insulates.

p.s.: 50 thousand btu's (one car of the 70's idling) is enough heat to keep a house warm in winter.

Last edited by topsites; 03-18-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If they do GRANDFATHER the older machines already produced, rest assured I will be buying a few extra and putting them in storage.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There really is no choice BUT to grandfather. Be impossible to enforce there are so many now. But as with cars that run on regular gas went away (you youngins probably don't even know this but there was a time when we had leaded gas) these motors will as well just as the 2 cycle is on the way out...better start the stock piling...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-20-2006, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once it goes into effect, the trimmers, blowers, saws, and hedge cutters are all going to be heavier with the catalectic converters on em. I'm not sure what they will do to the mower engines since they are already made to run for "extended periods of time and be LESS harmfull". Well see.....................
Old 03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Funny thing, about all these pollution control measures: I find myself wondering how much of them are just trading one problem for another, to obey the letter of the law. A few years ago, all gas around here had MBTE in it because it was "better" for the environment, 'til they discovered it was appearing in the lakes and wells at unacceptable levels here in New England... Now the "new, improved" additives stink to high hell, and I find after a day behind the mower my stomach is turned, and my head is splitting - I don't doubt for a sec that it's the fumes. (I'm not generally sensitive to much of anything, and it never has been a problem in the past) Something that smells like bad gas the day you get it can't be good!

I am looking forward to 4-stoke trimmers, if they can ever get the motor weight down: I think Husquevarna is getting there, from what I saw last year. Still running Echo in the meantime. 2-cycle is just an opportunity for the new kids to put the wrong gas in the small power equipment - had a 2-day-old backpack nearly blown up last year that way.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is barely any diff in weight
Old 03-21-2006, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheshovel
There is barely any diff in weight
I must disagree. A 4 cycle is close to twice the weight of the 2 cycle of the same HP...

I have a 2 cycle trimmer and a 4 cycle trimmer both made by Ryobi and the first thing you notice when picking up the 4 cycle (the newer of the 2) is just how much heavier that sucker is. I am SO glad my 2 cycle runs so well that I won't have to worry about replacing it for quite a few more years if at all. The 4 cycle I have was a concession thrown in with all the other lawn care equip I bought cheap from a moving sale.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower