Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-12-2000, 01:45 PM
LawnSite Member

oops, thats the only drawback. You can do it, its just a bit awkward. your wrist will be cocked down, and then you push down on your elbows. It works, but its a little tricky, turning while lifting the front of the deck is even more dificult, but you'll master that too. Another advantadge is that when you have the bar half way pushed, so the belt is free wheeling (no brake), you have a bar that goes across your body to pull back on. this puts much less stress on your wrists than a regular grip. with a regular mower, its all grip strength.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

When Ferris first came out with their Z I was<br>anxious to try it out since I`d been running Ferris machines for quite a while and was sold on their quality. My dealer loaned me one for the day and I headed for my dads place<br>which is 3 acres with very steep hills. As was stated before when you go out on hills the feeling on this machine is that this z is glued to the hills. At one point I stopped on a side hill locked the E-brake and got off.<br>I tried pushing and pulling on it in every direction :wouldnt budge. This hill was easily 60 degrees if not steeper. Needless to say I bought the Ferris and now run a I/S.
Old 04-12-2000, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Only a roofer would fully appreciate the humor of the steepness claimed on this forum.
Old 04-12-2000, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some of you guys better take that refresher course in geometry at the local CC. It is extremely difficult to walk on anything greater than 35 degree slope. I saw a rediculous claim of someone with an I/S running across 45 degree slope, now its up to 60? Must have anti-gravity cream on the seat or something.<p>Bill<p>
Old 04-12-2000, 04:00 PM

I gotta agree with thelawnguy. Unless you have managed to change the laws of physics there is NO WAY you can mow anything approaching 60 deg slopes. Flame me all you want, but those claims are full of BS! A house roof with a 12/12 pitch is a 45 deg slope. You cannot stand on one even with good shoes and the grit of the shingles. Don;t tell me I'm a foll here unless you can put an angle guage on your fictitous 60 and 70 degree slopes. Now if you were talking percentage of grade that might work. Grade percentage is expressed in feet of rise in 100 feet of run. A 45 degree slope is a 100% grade, it goes up 100 feet for every 100 ft of horizontal travel. I'm not real positive on the conversions, but a 70 PERCENT slope is probably mowable, with extreme caution.
Old 04-12-2000, 04:16 PM
Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Lazer, once again, I have to agree with you. The roofers would like this. 85 degrees is a steeper angle than I would even want to walk up a ladder to do the roofing. I used to do roofing and a 9-12 pitch is about the most I will even attempt to walk on a roof, which is aproximately a 37 degree angle. A 12-12 pitch is a 45 degree angle and you need cleats nailed to the roof to stay up there. When I climb a ladder, I put it at about 75 degrees or less to be safe while climbing. There is no way I would set a ladder up at 85 degrees and climb it unless it was tied at the top, or it will come over backwards before you can get to the top. Grass won't grow on anything that steep. I will go along with a mower climbing 45 degress, but that's hairy. I used to mow a hill about that steep, but a 85 degree incline, you would need cliff climbing gear to get up it. As I'm writing this I'm looking at my Swanson Speed Square, and as all of us know, 90 degrees is straight up, 85 degrees is like a wall that is leaning just a fuzz, next thing to straight up. Your mowers may come down a cliff that angle, but it will be messed up when it hits the bottom.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<p>
Old 04-12-2000, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First I would have to agree.I have cut slopes with our walk-behind at about 45 degrees tops!Even in hillside mowers like the dew-ease can only go up to 45 degrees.70 would be hard maby even impossible with a trimmer.Also some belt drive owners said that they can cut hills.Yes that is true but if it was wet or had rained that day you will soon see the advantage of hydro walk-behinds.Don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are no good I'm just saying that hydro beats them in every way but price!!!<p>from:Adam<p>AB Lawn Care
Old 04-12-2000, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would still like to know where the oil is during all this hill climbing arent you risking a blown motor? im not trying to be mr. smarty pants i was just wondering what is the steepest angle that is sakfe to mow(safe for the motor) and then there is always ruts, how do you guys keep from making ruts on these hills?<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-12-2000, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

25 degrees is about as steep as anybody has run a mower on a hill. I don't think engines have a problem with that. Making ruts is definitely a concern.
Old 04-12-2000, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

I am concerned with the oil as well. I just bought a brand new Z. I have two accounts that have hills approximately 35 deg. Just how long can you run at this angle without doing damage. The &quot;rut&quot; issue is a good one, too. I have been mowing them with a 36&quot; belt WB and have never been real comfortable on the hills with it.