Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2006, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Railroad ties

Does anyone know whether or not railroad ties are safe to use in a pond? The water would come in direct contact. Thanks
Old 03-19-2006, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Safe for what fish,drinking water, epa.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Fish and plants
Old 03-19-2006, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

A lot is going to depend on the size of the pond and the water dilution of any hazardous chemicals the ties where treated with. Older xties where cresoted and not the healthiest thing to have around. Some of the newer ties contain arsenic that leaches out into the surrouding areas. Not a good thing either. on a small pond of only a few gal of water capacity or without a renewable source of water continueously running into the pond, the cresote and arsenic could kill the fish. On larger ponds its not as big a issue but the risk of water contamination is still there. The use of some sort of liner to seperate the ties from the water would be best. Used ties that have been taken out of the railbed have usually been in the ground for several years before they are exchanged for new ones. ( I used to install ties for the railroad), those used ties would be graded and then the good ones where reused on light traffic density lines and the rest sold to large companies that could buy 1000's of ties at a time. now used ties are being sold to electical companies to be use for fuel instead of coal or petro. Some are also chipped into pieces and then glued together to make composite cross ties to be re-installed on the rail road. There are several companies that buy ties from the railroads and then sort and sale them to places like Lowes and Homedepot. There isnt anyway I know of to find out which railroad the ties came from or what they where treated with.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would not think you would bre able to retain the water in your pond by useing rairoad ties no.Also Koi
like to rub themselves on rocks and sand and stuff so if they were to rub on the RR ties they could get injured
Old 03-19-2006, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info Mudd! She, the fish wouldn't come in contact with the ties as I came up with a really neat cascading waterfall design using the ties, therefore the ties would be just above water level. However, water would be cascading down the ties 24/7, hence the reason for the question regarding plants and fish. I haven't even decided whether I will even put fish in the pond as I really just want it for the beauty. I just want something a little different than all the rest of the ponds you see in everyone else's backyards.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

OH pk then you said constant ccontact with the water how was I to know?
Old 03-21-2006, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would not use ther railroad ties in the water or any where near the water, if you want to have a plants or fish.
Redwood and presure treated wood is bad for a pond, So thihnk about the RR ties.. Those thinigs just drip with creasote or tar.. highly toxic.

If you really want wood., Think of an old tree branch or something.. SOmethng natural.

www.SoCalPonds.com
Old 03-21-2006, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h20
If you really want wood., Think of an old tree branch or something.. SOmethng natural.
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-21-2006, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

works for some people.. lol

www.SoCalPonds.com