Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2006, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

side sloping track loader?

i am looking at a job to install a driveway on the side of a pretty steep hill. there will be a couple switchbacks involved going from the road down to the parking area. i was thinking about using a track loader with a blade attachment to cut in the rough grade. i was wondering what is the max slope that is safe to side slope a track loader? any info would be appreciated.
thanks,
metin
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-19-2006, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what kind of soil you have but it sounds as though you need a real dozer, maybe a D3 or 4. The track machines are great but I can't see one actually cutting in a road from scratch. It might work, but your going to have to take very small bites and your time could be cut in half if not more with a dozer.
1989 F800
2007 NPR Dump
2006 Kubota 161
2007 T190
toys in avatar
Dodge Ram 3500
Old 03-19-2006, 07:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think 30 degrees is about the standard and max rating for side slope work.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had thought about a dozer. the ground is mostly loose soil, very soft. i was concerned that a dozer might have a tendancy to slide with the extra weight. also access to the area where it is at is pretty tough. i will have to park the trailer about a mile from where the work is. very curvy gravel forest roads. a house is not going to be built there. the land is used for a few guys to go hunting. they just would like to be able to pull their trucks off the road to where they will be out of sight. i appreciate the replies.
metin
Root Grapple
Box Blade
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-19-2006, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Your better off with a excavator mini or fullsize don't bother fooling around with a bulldozer or trackloader your way too limited. A 160 sized excavator could cut a decent road in a day even a 161 Kubota size machine can cut a road in easy.

We have some steep driveways here and I mean steep the one next to my place is so steep when they were building it they needed to lower the dump trucks down with a dozer. Another driveway I worked on was so steep the excavator wouldn't sit without sliding.

When your cutting into a bank or a hillside that is soft you need to cut in a good distance it should be minimum 10' wide it should be 14' wide. You will need to make sure the edge doesn't sluff off. You will need to get on the upperside of the slope and pull the material back and bench it.

Without pictures to see what your dealing with is hard to give you any ideas but like I said we have some of the worst driveways you can imagine here. Even concrete'ed tires will spin because its too slippery one guy I know has a driveway that is concrete is so steep he needs 4wheeldrive to climb it.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

gravel rat,
the excavator with a grading blade was my other option. i am leaning more that way the more i think about it. just don't have a lot of experiance with track loaders and wanted to see if that might be an option. i'll probably stick to the tried and true method. also, if you are still missing your old idi ford mine is for sale. runs like a top.
take care,
metin
Root Grapple
Box Blade
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 03-19-2006, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The PSD runs good just aslong it doesn't break parts are a little pricey. I'am used to the bigger power now
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Side Slopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn
i am looking at a job to install a driveway on the side of a pretty steep hill. there will be a couple switchbacks involved going from the road down to the parking area. i was thinking about using a track loader with a blade attachment to cut in the rough grade. i was wondering what is the max slope that is safe to side slope a track loader? any info would be appreciated.
thanks,
metin
Go to www.skidsteer.com

John Deere has an excellent video on that site comparing all track loaders on side slopes. It may help you decide if a track unit will work for you.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSKIDSTEER
Go to www.skidsteer.com

John Deere has an excellent video on that site comparing all track loaders on side slopes. It may help you decide if a track unit will work for you.
I don't believe that video for a minute. I know that people who are not used to pilot controls have a harder time going in a straight line, but how do we know the operator wasn't monkeying around a little to make the deer look better.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you tried them both on same conditions on the same job site? The biggest problem I have seen is the weight distribution of the machine. Rear end heavy machines slide and that is a fact. If you have not done it you don't need to make statements like that.