Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2006, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Best way to get customers for new lawncare business!!

just started new lawncare business in kansas city area. what is the most effective way to attract new business? i dont have unlimited funds to advertise. i have professional signage on truck. i am finding alot of the commercial properties i have contacted already have contracts. how early should i be contacting properties? many have multi-year contracts. i have printed several hundred flyers and delivered door to door....with little response yet, put them out last week. any advice from people in the field that could help the new guy would really be appreciated!! thanks, scott
Patriot Lawncare
Old 03-07-2006, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like your dong the right things

get a few jobs... and WORD OF MOUTH will take over, that is the best form of advertising anyways.....
6 full time
Old 03-07-2006, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hate to sat this ,but - You are doing it already. Advertising is a very small return game. Like Dave said, you will get more results as you enter the field and people see your work. The best thing for your business is to network. It will take about 2 years to build a client list that will be profitable and make up a good route.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Keep doing what your doing!!!

I had 1000 post cards printed out and 500 door to door flyer's printed. I mailed out about 650 postcards and delivered 350 flyer's door to door, and I have 9 monthly accounts and 3 one time cuts. So my advise is keep on advertising you will start to get some clients from this.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Soon you will be turning people away

It will take a little while. If you can, try and mow when most people will be home, evenings and weekends. Keep business cards and flyers in the truck and give them out to everyone.

If you get a 1-3% response to your marketing efforts you are doing very well.
If you really want to suceed in this buisness never stop advertising.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Door to Door

I have been advertizing door to door this year for a few weeks...I put out about 650 flyers and business card magnets in a door hanger baggie. I have only had 2 calls...I gave both customers fair estimates, and neither signed up. I have 10,000 door hangers and 10,000 magnets on the way (on a UPS truck somewhere right now!) anyway I was hoping for a 1% signup rate but by that theory I should have 6.5 accounts to show for my 650 I already delivered...but I have ZERO. I am hoping things will change...I too have noticed that most commercial accounts already have signed on with someone at this point.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

i just ordered 4000 postcards at www.overnightprints.com for only $99 plus shipping and handling totaling $140. I think that is a very good price considering that they looked really nice after i finished designing it. They have several landscaping templates to choose from also. Hopefully i will be fortunate enuf to get 1% callback. I tried 1000 flyers but only got 5 calls back and only 1 is definite customer but these postcards were a lot more professional looking and really affordable for 4000 of them.

4X6 full color and free U/V glossy (xtra $25 for printing on backside)

Stanley rolling stick measurer (in ft. and inches)
36" wb scag hydro
a push mower
Old 03-07-2006, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I have gotten out about 700 flyers and only 3 calls. None of them have signed up. oh well, just keep hitting the pavement, they will come.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep Hanging fliers it will pay off I put out 5000 last year sold about 20 jobs put out approx 1500 this year and have added 15 off that
Old 03-08-2006, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Make some tear offs and hang them up in grocery stores with public bulletin boards. Tear offs are those flyers you see with the tabs at the bottom you can tear off and take home. I have been putting them up at the major stores in my area and I get a very good return from them. If you want, you can PM me with your email and I will send you a template for one.