Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2006, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Self made Door hangers

I have been tinkering around in Excel and have come think I have an OK door hanger designed. I started out designing so what I knew what to order.
My question, has anyone ever tried making their own door hangers. I would use the thick paper, but not sure about the holes. 3 hangers would fit on a sheet. This may not be a good idea, but I might try it. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The first thing I thought when making my own was the hole. So I gave up after about 75 of them using scissors. Maybe there is a new tool out that can be had from a party/arts and crafts store. Die cut machine scrap bookin dept. I donno how much these run but guessin more then it wood cost to have em printed.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

cost effective

it is not cost effective to print your own doorhangers, the ink cartridges are too expensive and not made for large runs.,,,,,,, just have them printed and designed professionally...
6 full time
Old 03-20-2006, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Use a hole punch and rubber band
Old 03-20-2006, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, it is much more costly to make your own after paper, time, and ink. But if you do, they make a small circle cutter probably found in the scrapbooking section of a crafts store that will cut out perfect circles, then just cut a slit with scissors. Good luck.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can buy a 1+1/2" hole punch from a Art or craft store (about 10 bucks) that makes your hole.

Paper - use 110 lb card stock. you can cut it in half or in thirds.

Paper cutter - I bought mine from staples. I bought the best one they had with the long handle. about 80 bucks USA money (117 Canadian).

INK? never buy cartidges go to a ink franchise like Island ink jet and buy 4 or 8 oz bottles (or bigger) ink has a shelf life of 1.5 years or so they told me.
Also ask them to give you syringes to refill your cartidges.
For 8 oz bottle (regaurdless of colour) I pay about a hundred bucks CAD that's about 75 american.

As for printers I use canon the ink is half the price of HP or Lexmark. This years canon printer of choice is the iP4200. it has 5 colours (2 backs).

To refil a cartridge, drill a 1/16th hole in the top, tape off the bottom ink well hole first, then use a syringe to inject your ink. Then use a glue gun to plug up the hole. After you've don 10-20 cartridges you'll be able to do this very fast.
And remember, you can have mulitple printers going at the same time. I'll often have one printing out the front of the flyer and the other printing out the back.

Much cheaper than the print shop unless you're talking about 10's of thousands, and you can have full colour and if you like the artistic feel of creating your whale flyer, its just great. Yeah you have to baby sit your own flyers and maybe I'll get sick of it in a few years but for now i do the printing.

I just bought glossy paper for estimate sheets and brochures for the customer I also bought glossy card stock photo paper for picture quality business cards.

I might even do this.

Last edited by Freddy_Kruger; 03-20-2006 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Judging by the air in those lines, it doesn't look like that method would work so well???

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 03-21-2006, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response. I know it is probably better to have them made. I had a bad experience with my business cards. I created my own using word and buying the Avrey templates paper. This was just to have something for my first customers. Everyone liked the cards. Went to the local print shop to have my "Professional looking cards made. I gave the man my info and an idead what I wanted. He made a few samples and I SETTLED on one. Big mistake. After getting the cards, I hate them. They work but look cheap. i guess all this rambling on is to say that I would really like to completely design my own and take the design to a shop.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i live close to a community college and originally my brother in law was going there. he was taking an art class and printed some business cards and doorhangers for me. after i used up all of the doorhangers...(last weekend) i got the art professors number and he is having the current class print 5000 doorhanges for just under $100. the only thing that sucks is i have to use the above mentioned $10 hole punch to punch all of the holes. all in all i spend $100+$10 for the hole punch and about 2 hours punching the holes....not bad for 5000 door hangers.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Member

made my own and look very nice i get a huge call back but its do to a diffrent lay out they everyone else uses . what ever you do dont list all what u do and your name of your lco on the top and free estimate crap on the bottom you will only get a 1 may 2% call back what you need to do is to adress some of their concers ask and answer questions and things that you know that they would want ton hear if you have any questions you can email me at epiclandscaping1@yahoo.com