Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2006, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Do it myself Toro Repair Questions???

I have a 2004 Toro Walkbehind with a 15 horsepower Kholer. My problem is that the bolts that mount the engine to the frame vibrate loose and fall out. This time three of four have come all the way out and were lost and one I just pulled out, with half broke off in the engine still. I need to flip the engine over to drill out the holes. Everything is disconnected except for the flywheel pulley things below the deck attached to the motor by the drive shaft. When I try to unbolt the drive-shaft from under the deck the whole assembly and engine spin. Do i take open the top cover and jam the flywheel?? What is the best way to do that?? Any other comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. - Matt
Old 03-20-2006, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfetrid
I have a 2004 Toro Walkbehind with a 15 horsepower Kholer. My problem is that the bolts that mount the engine to the frame vibrate loose and fall out. This time three of four have come all the way out and were lost and one I just pulled out, with half broke off in the engine still. I need to flip the engine over to drill out the holes. Everything is disconnected except for the flywheel pulley things below the deck attached to the motor by the drive shaft. When I try to unbolt the drive-shaft from under the deck the whole assembly and engine spin. Do i take open the top cover and jam the flywheel?? What is the best way to do that?? Any other comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time. - Matt
i think i'd take it back to my dealer and let them handle it... if you have a good relationship with them they probably will give you first priority over the others..
Old 03-20-2006, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You could try an impact.
MJLsLawnCareNmore@hotmail.com
Old 03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A impact wrench is the quickest easiest way but if you don't have one this method will work.

Rotate the engine over by hand until it comes up on compression stroke, Remove the spark plug and stick a long screw driver in the plug hole to feel the piston and continue to rotate until the piston is about 2" from top dead center compression stroke and stop. Take a piece of #4 or #4 1/2 recoil rope about 2' long and feed it into the spark plug hole leaving enough hanging out for removal, Once the rope is in place it will pin the piston then put your wrench on the crank pto bolt and remove it. To re-tighten the bolt after repairs are complete rotate the piston back down the cylinder and remove the rope. Rotate the engine until the piston is about 2" past tdc and re-install the rope and tighten the pto screw.
(note) This must be performed on compression stroke as to not bend the valves.
This method is outlined in the Briggs Service Manual and will work on almost any engine.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!