Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Losing my treads!

Hey Guys,
I have a CAT 257, 2003 with about 750 hours on it. For the last few days when I go into a pile or when it is pushing pretty hard I feel the left track feel like it is jumping/hopping. I thought that I needed to adjust them, so looked today and the tension is fine, but about 4 of the lugs that engage the drive sprocket have broken/ torn off!! So when it get's to that spot on the track, there is nothing for the rollers on the sprocket to engage to. Eventually the track spins enough to hit the good lugs again. To say the least I am pissed. I read somewhere that ASV warranties their original tracks for 1000 hrs. Do you guys know if this applies to the undercarriages on the CAT machines. Or is it even true? I don't even want to call my salesman since he is a waste of time, so who would I call? I figured I would ask you guys first before I tear someone at CAT a new $$*%(#))! Thanks
1989 F800
2007 NPR Dump
2006 Kubota 161
2007 T190
toys in avatar
Dodge Ram 3500
Old 03-20-2006, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

David,

I am very surprised to hear of your problem...after reading most of the posts here on this forum, I though Cat machines were bulletproof (yes, that was sarcasm).

I would try the service department wherever you purchased your machine. Some sales guys like to stay in the loop when there is a problem (I know mine does) but some think service for them ends with the closed sale.

My only suggestion is, although I know you are angry, try to be as nice as possible until it is no longer time to be nice. You know...the old "you catch more flies with honey" bit....

Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Track Warranty

I'm sorry to hear of your problem with your track. I'm seeing good life out my tracks so far as are other ASV machine owners. At least in this part of the U.S. (WI) they are lasting longer than the Bridgestone tracks that I sold with the Bobcat tracked-loaders.

I do know that ASV does warrant their tracks against defect for 2 yrs or 1000hours and that includes replacement tracks. I'm not sure about CAT's warranty, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't similar. I wish you the best of luck with your CAT dealer.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This will be the test of your dealers desire to stand behind you. Torn lugs will be subjective at best as to whether it is normal wear and tear/operator error or a defective track.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your 257 is 2003 with 750 hours ! Do the math!!!!!!!!!!! Your three years old now ,so the 2 year or 1000 hours is no good.

So looks like to me your SOL for getting help now.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My first reaction would be how do you adjust your tracks and by that I mean to describe every action you take to adjust them, and how often are you checking tension? The next question is how clean are you keeping them at the end of the night? And do all the rollers on the drive sprocket turn and move and are they all round meaning are there any flat spots in the rollers?

We bought both our 257's new, took the MTL classes CAT and ASV offer and just turned 1800 hours on one machine, 1000 on the other, the one with 1800 is getting due for a new set, the one with 1000 is running prototyped retreaded tracks. We primarily side slope with the machines, which tends to wear tracks more than working the flats and flip flop sides every 200 hours. We work slopes that ridgid framed machines won't get on.

I'm interested to see what you find, but even more interested to see what you do and how to adjust tracks.
www.naturescapelandscape.com
Old 03-20-2006, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Time for new tracks the one crappy part of rubber tracks is there is no replaceable chain. It sounds like there is something out of line in the undercarriage to make the track wear funny or add stress to the track.

I doubt you will get any warrenty so you will have to bite the bullet and buy them yourself I would look at the aftermarket.