Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-20-2006, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Blade sharpening / How often?

Blade sharpening is important especially in the finished cut. I try to sharpen my blades at the end of each day... if not every two days. If you let them get real dull than you have to take more off. Sharp blades are great as well when the grass is wet. And of course you can tell after the lawn has been cut if the blades are dull or sharp. I think its a good practice and as well good to tell your customers that you do that.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

our blades get sharpened every day. we run doubles on all the mowers!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everyday! Everyday!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every 8 hours.
As quoted by fellow member or lawn god "Fareway"
We had the throttle cranked and we roostered tailed out of there.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends how often the machine is used. When I had my 52" WB, It was only getting used on 6 properties a week which was about 8 hours a week. The 36" was getting used about 25 hours a week. The 36" blades would get sharpened 2 times a week. The 52 (which runs the same size blades) would get sharpened 1 time every 2 weeks. All the machines were greased when the blades are changed.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to admit this in view of so many people sharpening their blades daily or so....BUT I have gone for weeks without sharpening mine....Just don't hit things other than grass and you will be OK....It's hard on blades if you hit dirt from scalping, rocks, sticks etc....I am careful and know my yards and have had no problems with this schedule....Oh yeah, when my help was using the fixed deck 48's we would have to sharpen often but since we got floating decks set to 3.5 inches and better help haven't had problems....and Yes we keep our customers year after year and yes there are no problems with our cutting.
Hope this helps.
Andrew
PS - we sharpen our blades when they get dull like the new factory blades or if they get too many nicks in them.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville
I hate to admit this in view of so many people sharpening their blades daily or so....BUT I have gone for weeks without sharpening mine....Just don't hit things other than grass and you will be OK....It's hard on blades if you hit dirt from scalping, rocks, sticks etc....I am careful and know my yards and have had no problems with this schedule....Oh yeah, when my help was using the fixed deck 48's we would have to sharpen often but since we got floating decks set to 3.5 inches and better help haven't had problems....and Yes we keep our customers year after year and yes there are no problems with our cutting.
Hope this helps.
Andrew
PS - we sharpen our blades when they get dull like the new factory blades or if they get too many nicks in them.
You do make a good point because there are times when I either get too busy or more accurately, I just can't deal with sharpening them again. You can, technically, run blades for 2-3 days or 20 yards and more, because:
The razor's edge that you get from sharpening only lasts about 20 minutes, after which it's dull, and dull is dull regardless of how often it is sharpened. So really, only the first yard of the day gets the benefit of the fine edge but blades do reach a point of dullness after about the 8th yard, after which there is another noticeable decline in quality (by noticeable, I mean you do need a keen eye, but noticeable it is). Thus, the sharper the blade at the first of the day, the better the last yard of the day will look.
Yes, grass dulls blades, even if you never hit a stick or a pebble. But, so does dust or dirt (to some degree, even more so).

And...
I give my blades a once-over (actually twice over) real nice but quick, I don't take off a lot of steel while sharpening. When a nick or burr comes along, it doesn't usually come out in the first sharpening, but instead gets worked out over time. This not only maintains the blade and prevents me from having to shave off a 1/4 inch of steel, but by sharpening it frequently, it keeps the blades balanced (yes I use a balancer) and balance is important because an out-of-balance blade will result in a loss of rpm (due to vibration). Now on my fixed deck, if I don't get at least 3 thousand rpm out of the blades, the mower streaks and I hate that (streaking is when it leaves blades of grass uncut), because now I have to run over everything twice. So, sharp and balanced blades helps prevent streaking.

But no, I don't sharpen my blades at the end of every day if the mower didn't get used (hence why I said, every day or every 4 yards). If I cut less than 4 yards in a day, no thank you... If I didn't cut that day, no thanks.

Last edited by topsites; 03-20-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I change my blades 2x's a week. Sometimes I can stretch it to once a week.

Lots of things will dull a blade. Grass dulls them the LEAST.

Stones
Sticks
Dirt
Dry dusty lawns
Blowing off driveway with deck.
Mowing lower than 3"

It all affects the blade.

A razor sharp blade will dull and nick quicker than a one with a slightly dull edge.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980