Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2006, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

So my wife says......

I think you are under bidding your work. NOT 10 MINUTES later a lady calls to say my bid was too high. Ironic, I think, that this lady calls to say that. By the way, this same lady has called me 2-3 times a year for @ the last 2 years. She NEVER has any work done. Oh well, just a little rant on my part. Anyone else have things like this happen?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

HAHA it's funny you mention that because every year i have this same penny pincher old lady calls me in the spring for grass and in the winter for snow and everytime my bid is to high don't you think she would learn?!?!?! people are so ignorant
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT1304
I think you are under bidding your work. NOT 10 MINUTES later a lady calls to say my bid was too high. Ironic, I think, that this lady calls to say that. By the way, this same lady has called me 2-3 times a year for @ the last 2 years. She NEVER has any work done. Oh well, just a little rant on my part. Anyone else have things like this happen?
Yeah...
The next time she calls, you have two options:
1) Don't return the call (this is the easiest).
What if she catches you answering the phone?
Now that's why I don't answer my phone this time of year (please leave a message).
- This translates to: I'm too busy to be dealing with this.
2) Go out there and give her your usual price but add 50 percent (at least +20%)
- This translates to: I'm not playing these silly games no more.

Either way, she'll likely get the message but I will advise the first of the two options tends to be the nicer one (as one can tend to get crappy while giving the estimate when one already knows the answer).

And, consider increasing your prices a little bit this year.

Last edited by topsites; 03-22-2006 at 12:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We all have them, and we have them because they can't keep the lawn care people they hire for pennies. Ignore them...but good story.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike's Lawn & Snow
HAHA it's funny you mention that because every year i have this same penny pincher old lady calls me in the spring for grass and in the winter for snow and everytime my bid is to high don't you think she would learn?!?!?! people are so ignorant
Honestly I don't think ppl. remeber our names, they just open the book and call lawn/landscape companies. I had a lady tell me off last year got real ignorant, then called me in the spring for mulch, she didn't realize it was me. SHe got a postcard and just called.

Chevy trucks, Exmark Lazers, enclosed trailers.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a pita customer thatslike that. No matter what I say when she asks about upgrades or extra work its always OHHHHHHH i cant afford that. I used to be like ok what can you afford...(still never did the work) so now I dont even bother or just give estimates on the phone to her since I know her property well. Only reason I keep her is she is never home when I mow and there is always a 100 buck check waiting for me when I pull up to cut the grass
Old 03-22-2006, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the same problem, not trying to be racist (sp?) in any way, but I have two middle eastern families that call and each year I go up a little bit and they just dont understand it, they usually get some kid to do it for 15 bucks.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new customer that wants a price for everything but never has any of it done.