Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2006, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

holding checks

I got a fairly new customer I have done over 6k in work for over the past 5 weeks. I never had a problem and got paid instantly on the other invoices.

We are doing his house in stages and stage 1 and 2 were paid (4800) no problems. I emailed them thier latest invoice Monday and got this back.

Billy If your in the area this week please just drop by and pick up your check. Just hold it to the 1st of the month before you cash it)

Im not to worried about waiting til the 1st of the month for it as all my clients have 30 days to pay but the fact they asked me to hold it when I don't normally kinda irritated me. My response to her was

"kelly its fine just hold on to your check and mail it to me at the first of the month no worries"

she shot back 30 seconds later. Well its already out by the mailbox so just come get it and hold it.

Does anyone else hold checks? Im flexible with my customers and have even let some older folks break thier larger bills over 3 months or so but never had a problem. Im not a finance co but this guy is a doctor... new armada in driveway new benz in the driveway. The wife just got a new tanning bed installed in the guest house and now I gotta hold a check for 1300 bucks.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When dealing with residentials you come across this occasionally. You said you never had a problem with this client in the past, so don't worry about it. print out a copy of the email and save it with the check.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

She is probably siving an a spending "allowance" from her doctor husband. This is how he controls her spending habits.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I suggest getting your hands on that check asap, they may be out of cash, and she is giving you the best opportunity to get paid. Then deposit it or cash it right on the 1st.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People have to remeber that just b.c you make money doesnt mean that you have it all the time. She offered to give you a check so you should take it and cash it on the 1st b.c you did say that your customers have 30 days to pay. Because they have that new truck and car and tanning bed doesnt mean they have the money right now. So people money comes in spurts and always remeber that those new things cost money so maybe that is where their money went.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

If you have never had any trouble with them before, I would probably just let it slide, plus they have paid you 4800, so I would figure they are good for the money, plus you do give them 30 days to pay and they are meeting that time limit. If they make a habbit out of it then you might want to stop it but I don't really see a problem with that.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Also some companies only pay every 4 weeks and not everyone is good at holding onto that money throughout the month
Old 03-22-2006, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Youre irritated hat someone is trying to pay you?
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-22-2006, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yes I will hold a check..not much you can do when your handed one and asked to hold it.At least the check for the money is in hand.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't assume just because someone has nice cars and a nice house ect they have a a lot of money.. Most likely being a doctor he does have a lot of money, but the thing is he probably keeps a budget and has the rest of his money invested.. Holding a check for someone is a pain when you know they could come up with the money, but try to think back when you weren't sure if a customer was going to pay period!!