Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-22-2006, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

LISTEN TO ME!!!

Last year I had a client that was the same way. She owned her own business, lived in a nice neighborhood in a nice house. Drove a BMW, one daughter in private school and one in a private college. Outstanding payer and always wanted extras and always paid the day the work was finished even though I told her numerous times that I billed monthly and she could just pay then. Never a problem or an issue.

Then out of the blue she started asking me to "hold" her checks. First a day or two, then a week, then a month. But I too thought no biggie. Then her checks started bouncing. After her third bounced check I dropped her. Hated to but business is business. Next thing I see her house is foreclosed on, car repoed and she is gone.

There IS A REASON she wants the check held and it is a financial one. Maybe short term, maybe long term....but beware!

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

always get the check even if it bounces at least you can go file charges for that..
Old 03-22-2006, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintNoFun
always get the check even if it bounces at least you can go file charges for that..
I agree. A $1300 check that bounces is great leverage to have to get paid. That would be a felony in most places. She wouldnt offer to give it to you if it wont be good on the 1st. I would complain about it too, but would still do it.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
Youre irritated hat someone is trying to pay you?
No, but I can see the way it's being gone about, how it can be frustrating...

For example, I don't like someone telling me to swing by to pick up my check after the work is done, just so I can hold it... I mean, what's wrong with the stamp and address method, why not just send it to me after it's in the clear?
It'd be a different thing if she'd have accidentally mailed it out (like too soon), that I could deal with.

But I'd let it slide with a regular, maybe a bout of spring fever is all it is.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't hold checks for lawn care but I do for my other business. It is fine every once in a while, but nip it in the butt if it starts to become a habit.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

my point was why did she shoot back at me and snap to come get it when I had to sit on it 2 and a half weeks. I got it sitting here on my desk.

They want 3k in lighting soon and just told me they will need to wait on it until later. They wanted it mid April but now its end of may. Im fine with that because it tells me they are waiting until they are sure they got the money avalible.

Why pay me right away when you got 30 days. Send the money on the first when you got it. I think Im going to be done picking up payments its stupid if your home when i finish and cut me a check awsome. If not stamp it and mail it like all your other bills.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG
I wouldn't assume just because someone has nice cars and a nice house ect they have a a lot of money.. Most likely being a doctor he does have a lot of money, but the thing is he probably keeps a budget and has the rest of his money invested.. Holding a check for someone is a pain when you know they could come up with the money, but try to think back when you weren't sure if a customer was going to pay period!!

I had customers claim just because I own a business that I have alot of money. They wanted to complain about my price. Anyways, I would hold the check since you never had problems and keep doing great work for the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!