Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2006, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tangible tax?

Hi, this is my first year filing my own taxes being self employed. I had not heard about a tangible tax before but I have been told that I will be taxed on all of the equipment I own. Is this a new thing or just a statewide thing (FL)? So if I am thinking correctly, the equipment I have already purchased and paid taxes on will be taxed again. Then again next year and so on? That does not seem right but that is how I interpretted it. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IT IS JUST LIKE PERSONAL PROPERTY Tax . Here in Texas you can give them fair market value of your equipment .. my taxes on my mowers and trailer was $320.05 for 2005 Have got the form filled out for 2006 but have not turned it in yet, but on the plus side it is a businees deduction that you can take Good luck and have fun . Twj
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbray101
Hi, this is my first year filing my own taxes being self employed. I had not heard about a tangible tax before but I have been told that I will be taxed on all of the equipment I own. Is this a new thing or just a statewide thing (FL)? So if I am thinking correctly, the equipment I have already purchased and paid taxes on will be taxed again. Then again next year and so on? That does not seem right but that is how I interpretted it. Thanks for any input.
Its for leased equipment. Some finance options on equipment are a 3 year lease with a $1 buyout at the end of the lease. So you have to pay the tax on it. And you pay tax on the "fair market" value decided by some government moron. I did that with a great dane once, and the final year of the lease their value of the mower was $4800. I got $600 for it when I sold it a few months later. Its not that expensive of a tax, its just that its another thing to get your money.
Old 04-19-2006, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

One of my pet peeves, I say alot of cuss words every year when I write out the check for this stupid (should be illegal) tax. I wish all the penny pinching customers understood how much it costs to be in business legitimately. Everybody has a hand in your pocket.
44" exmark & 46" exmark
60" Lesco ZTR & 48" Lesco ZTR
Toro 32" walkbehind and 2 toro/exmark push mowers
Lots of Echo straight shaft Weedeaters/edgers
Stihl and Husquvarna chainsaws
8 pairs of Hedge trimmers Echo/redmax/stihl
Shindawa/Echo/Stihl blowers handheld/backpack
More misc. stuff than I can list

Beautifying America one yard at a time