Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
one man gang one man gang is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N. In.
Posts: 5,811
Mower problem

I put a new spindle on my 2000 gravley pro 150 50" and the blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing. Any insight on this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Splicer's Avatar
Splicer Splicer is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Blanchester, Ohio
Posts: 995
Try a thread lock?
__________________
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
HighGrass's Avatar
HighGrass HighGrass is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Z5 MA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by one man gang
I put a new spindle on my 2000 gravley pro 150 50" and the blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing. Any insight on this?
Are you torqueing it to spec? If you use thread, be sure to get the right kind otherwise you'll have a major headache getting it off. Usually the problem is getting the blade off not keeping it on. Proper Washer? Proper Bolt? Just some other things to think about.
__________________
If you can afford to feed it, you can afford to pay me to cut it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
TURF DOCTOR's Avatar
TURF DOCTOR TURF DOCTOR is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: BEREA KY
Posts: 2,141
Cool signature highgrass,never had that problem are you torqueing it heavy.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
Flex-Deck Flex-Deck is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Mediapolis, IA. 52637
Posts: 2,846
Hell - You should not have to torque a blade bolt - they should tighten themselves. I just hand tighten very lightly - that way they come off easy to sharpen - never had a blade come off yet. Sure they didn't send you reverse thread bolts or something???????
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by one man gang
blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing.

Can you explain a little better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
lawnmaniac883's Avatar
lawnmaniac883 lawnmaniac883 is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: largo, FL
Posts: 2,621
Are you sure your lock washer is the correct one? This is the round washer that if looked at from the side appears to have a slight conical shape.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 PM
one man gang one man gang is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N. In.
Posts: 5,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Are you sure your lock washer is the correct one? This is the round washer that if looked at from the side appears to have a slight conical shape.

First off ,thanks for all the replies and the help. And to better explain it, after the blades spin for a while the center one comes off. It appears the the threads are the right way and I tightened it pretty good the last time and it still came off. On this model the blade goes right up against the spindle with two washers then the bolt. I figure I'll put washer between the blade and spindle(good idea or no?) . If that doesn't work you guys think thread lock ? It's a spare mower so if it locked up it wouldn't be too bad. I just spent $100 on belts and blades for it so I want to at least have the thing run with out the blade coming off.
Thanks again for the help all
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
HighGrass's Avatar
HighGrass HighGrass is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Z5 MA
Posts: 1,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by one man gang
First off ,thanks for all the replies and the help. And to better explain it, after the blades spin for a while the center one comes off. It appears the the threads are the right way and I tightened it pretty good the last time and it still came off. On this model the blade goes right up against the spindle with two washers then the bolt. I figure I'll put washer between the blade and spindle(good idea or no?) . If that doesn't work you guys think thread lock ? It's a spare mower so if it locked up it wouldn't be too bad. I just spent $100 on belts and blades for it so I want to at least have the thing run with out the blade coming off.
Thanks again for the help all
So you're saying there are two washers between the blade and the head of the bolt? Never heard of that before. All the mowers I've used (Cadet, toro, scag, exmark) usually had only one washer. What brand is it?
__________________
If you can afford to feed it, you can afford to pay me to cut it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,730
I wouldn't put a steel washer between the blade and spindle.
I work for a EX Gravely Dealer and this is a option that could solve your problem. Find your nearest Dixie Chopper Dealer and purchase part # W-101 fiber washers, Put one between the blade and spindle on each spindle assembly and put both steel washers on the bolt on the bottom of the blade and tighten to spec.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.09584 seconds with 7 queries