Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mower problem

I put a new spindle on my 2000 gravley pro 150 50" and the blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing. Any insight on this?
Old 03-22-2006, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try a thread lock?
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-22-2006, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one man gang
I put a new spindle on my 2000 gravley pro 150 50" and the blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing. Any insight on this?
Are you torqueing it to spec? If you use thread, be sure to get the right kind otherwise you'll have a major headache getting it off. Usually the problem is getting the blade off not keeping it on. Proper Washer? Proper Bolt? Just some other things to think about.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cool signature highgrass,never had that problem are you torqueing it heavy.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hell - You should not have to torque a blade bolt - they should tighten themselves. I just hand tighten very lightly - that way they come off easy to sharpen - never had a blade come off yet. Sure they didn't send you reverse thread bolts or something???????
Old 03-22-2006, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
blade(bolt) keeps unscrewing.

Can you explain a little better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 03-22-2006, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure your lock washer is the correct one? This is the round washer that if looked at from the side appears to have a slight conical shape.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnmaniac883
Are you sure your lock washer is the correct one? This is the round washer that if looked at from the side appears to have a slight conical shape.

First off ,thanks for all the replies and the help. And to better explain it, after the blades spin for a while the center one comes off. It appears the the threads are the right way and I tightened it pretty good the last time and it still came off. On this model the blade goes right up against the spindle with two washers then the bolt. I figure I'll put washer between the blade and spindle(good idea or no?) . If that doesn't work you guys think thread lock ? It's a spare mower so if it locked up it wouldn't be too bad. I just spent $100 on belts and blades for it so I want to at least have the thing run with out the blade coming off.
Thanks again for the help all
Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
First off ,thanks for all the replies and the help. And to better explain it, after the blades spin for a while the center one comes off. It appears the the threads are the right way and I tightened it pretty good the last time and it still came off. On this model the blade goes right up against the spindle with two washers then the bolt. I figure I'll put washer between the blade and spindle(good idea or no?) . If that doesn't work you guys think thread lock ? It's a spare mower so if it locked up it wouldn't be too bad. I just spent $100 on belts and blades for it so I want to at least have the thing run with out the blade coming off.
Thanks again for the help all
So you're saying there are two washers between the blade and the head of the bolt? Never heard of that before. All the mowers I've used (Cadet, toro, scag, exmark) usually had only one washer. What brand is it?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't put a steel washer between the blade and spindle.
I work for a EX Gravely Dealer and this is a option that could solve your problem. Find your nearest Dixie Chopper Dealer and purchase part # W-101 fiber washers, Put one between the blade and spindle on each spindle assembly and put both steel washers on the bolt on the bottom of the blade and tighten to spec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!