Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2006, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Text Size and Page Distortions

Today, I was thinking about page distortion again after looking at a very nice website on another forums site.

The landscaper had a nice site. They will be on the landscapers challenge show soon too. So I think they got their site looking it's best in the meantime.

I expanded my view of text size looking at their site, and also did likewise on mine. It's amazing how the sites transform and stretch as text increases in the body, tables - even text links.

My left photo moved so far down that I changed my home page this morning.

Instead of one table split into two cells where the text would stretch the photo down with it's enlargement, I put in two tables. The image in a table aligned left. Then another table with the text aligned right. As soon as I did that, the text table stretched, but the image in it's table stayed top and left.

I often enlarge text by holding the CTRL key down while rolling my mouse wheel for instant increase and decrease of text size.

I'm going to go through my pages this week and see which will distort too wierd if people have their text viewing option set larger.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 04-29-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've run into many problems with what you call "page distortion". When changing screen resolution, or from one html editor to another, things tend to move aroundÖ but apparently you can get around that with the correct html programming.

Off the subject, but since you were on the Board for a while, Iíd like to get your feelings on the LCBís website. Iím surprised that nothing has been done to improve the absolutely worthless database search and renewal system. I tried to renew my licenses online today but ended up with nothing more than programming errors, then tried to search for any license and got another strange error code. What a piece of junk! Why the Board keeps using this GL Suite software is besides me. Even at itís best, when searching for a license, all you have to work with is a small window with a lot of wasted screen space. Totally stupid. And to top it off, you canít perform many search functions, such as searching for all contractors within Bend. It lists the first page, but no more. Guess if youíre looking only for contractors with last names beginning with ďAĒ you may be lucky.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had some difficulties in it myself. I mentioned that - maybe it was forgotten.

It's almost certain, that enough feedback will cause change. Mike is a very nice person; if you send a polite email, but specifically stating what the problems are, it will be brought up at a meeting.

Address the email to the "Landscape Contractors Board Members" and "Administrator: Michael Snyder".

Anything addressed to members, goes in the board packet sent to each one.

You can also mention that other landscapers you know of are having challenges too (I'm one, so that's a true statement)

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually, I just talked to Mike a couple days ago when I finally had to call to get my licenses renewed. Apparently he was the only person in the office at the time and answered the phone - though I didnít know it was him until I blurted out how I disliked the software they were using. However he agreed that there were issues, but perhaps what amplified the matter was when he tried to access the information while we were talking on the phone. Iím glad I wasnít the only one getting error messages! But you're right, he seems to be a likable person. And, by the way, Iíll be seeing him Thursday evening.

Iím guessing that the reason the database is down is because GL Suite is in the process of moving into another building Ė again. They were sharing the same building as where my wife works, and more than once I was tempted to open their door to see what in tarnation was going on.

Hey, I didnít know about the Ctrl + mouse wheel trick to change font size.
Old 05-08-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not to get off-thread but I might recommend designing your site(s) for an 800x600 screen resolution so as to cover this shrinking but persistent percentage of displays.
At least that's what I've done for many years, it leaves some blank space around the horizontal edges but then that's what Yahoo does and what's good enough for them is good enough for me LOL
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Sponsor

I think it's admirable that you want your pages to look good when users want to enlarge text. Designing a site with that in mind is tricky, but doable.

For readers interested in how different browsers render text read the following series of articles: http://www.webmonkey.com/webmonkey/9...html?tw=design