Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-22-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Best way to dig a trench for a french drain?

I've dug these the old fashioned way (shovel) but I'm wonderind if anyone has a better idea? Maybe a Ditchwitch or a mini-trencher. I want to make it about one foot deep and ten inches wide.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

depending on how long of a trench you need to dig. if its short in length i would just use a shovel if it was long i would rent a trencher.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If the soil is rocky or pathetically crumbly - maybe a trencher.

But for French drains, I think a hand-dig is the most professional way to go if the soil is pliable. I even slope the sides to reduce collapse and closure. It's almost an art.

If you go to my home page, then advice in the menu, then select advice page 2 button. I have a whole section on doing French drains the right way.

(The "Man's Way")

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 03-23-2006, 06:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

mdvaden, wow that is one informative website. Nice job and thanks for sharing it.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB Landscaping View Post
mdvaden, wow that is one informative website. Nice job and thanks for sharing it.
This old thread just came to my attention again, and it seemed worthwhile to update it.

The drainage advice page I referred to in my earlier reply has doubled for content, and is in a different menu. The direct URL is:

READ > Landscape Drainage Advice

Dang ... 6 years later - lol

But I've been getting a hoard of drainage calls the past two years. And quite a few involved alleviating botched attempts by other landscapers. Some going defunct in almost no time at all. Some of the drainage installs were defunct the instant they went in, not addressing the real need, which was grading and soil improvement.

It's amazing how many landscape outfits use a trench of rock at their main or only tool in the kit.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 06-14-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Haha I remember reading that, ohhh how time quickly disappears. Anyways I woulld rent a mini-ex with a 12" bucket. Trenchers are an extreme p.i.t.a when you want to run two identical depth runs side by side. The mini ex has a dozer blade on it too so you can grade much easier. On a 200 foot run I rented a dingo with a mini ex attachment and a bucket and did the entire project by myself in one day minus the sod.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!