Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Cutting wet grass

I hate cutting wet grass, but a lot of the times we have no choice. I have some customers who don't like it . Of course they think their the only customer and that I can wait until it dries but if I do that I fall behind big time! Sometimes the dew in morning is just as bad or heavier than rain . I tell them my blades are sharp and I go a lot slower and I have no choice and usually get this REACTION mind you a lot of them (customers) have zero to do around the house. I also tell them if I don't do it today I may not have a chance later this week. What do you guys do about wet grass.?
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I go ahead and cut it. I tell them that I can always put it back if they are unhappy. ;-)
Old 03-23-2006, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm in the pacific northwest, and here it's hard not to cut wet sometimes. If we stopped for rain we wouldn't start again until July, and the grass would be four feet high. I just try to tread softly, keep the decks clean, and the blades sharp.

Low overhead doesn't make me a scrub!
Old 03-23-2006, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn
I just try to tread softly, keep the decks clean, and the blades sharp.
Pretty much all we can do with 400 acres a week to get done..not much else we can do.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

most days in the spring around here the dew doesn't burn off until after 11 am. if your full time in this industry its impossible not cutting wet grass. midway through the day i check to make sure the deck is clean.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've found that there are many times throughout the season that cutting wet grass is unavoidable. You just have to do the best job you can under the circumstances and try to make the lawn look as good as possible. Next week the lawn will look fine and life goes on. Life isn't perfect, the weather isn't always ideal, and sometimes you have to cut in the rain. I'm thankful most of my customers go don't crazy if I cut when it's wet and are understanding of the circumstances. I do try and work around the rain as much as possible, but when that doesn't work out, then that's when you just have to cut when it's wet.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have no choice but to cut when it is wet sometimes. We start at about 6:30 in the morning on commercials and then move to residentials so the dew is thick. I tell the customer if I dont cut it now, it will put me behind and I dont have any idea when I could come again. Most customers don't have a problem if it is wet because they know it rains alot.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndunn
I'm in the pacific northwest, and here it's hard not to cut wet sometimes. If we stopped for rain we wouldn't start again until July, and the grass would be four feet high. I just try to tread softly, keep the decks clean, and the blades sharp.
Right on, neighbor! I try and visualize myself in a warm, dry pub as I'm pulling the hood up on my rain gear and engaging the blades...

Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Sad you can't purchase Etesia mowers in your part of the world. They are used by contractors throughout Europe because they are specifically designed to deal with wet conditions - part of our unpredictable climate and the reason why the weather is the main topic of conversation here in Britain!
Old 03-24-2006, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmasteruk
Sad you can't purchase Etesia mowers in your part of the world.
An interesting mower. Kinda like a Walker. I'd like to see some pics of the underside of the deck and the collection system. It's too bad they make use of so much plastic or fiberglass on the bodywork. Most contractors would destroy the bodywork in short order.

Here's a link to the mower.

http://www.etesia.com/redirect.htm?h...hydro124ds.htm