Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-11-2000, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I have put mulch beds in before, but I have never worked on a existing one. I had a client call and ask for me to clean out his mulch beds and to mulch them. I don't know if he had leaves in there or if he wants the old mulch removed. Want is the normal procedure? Any tips would be appreciated. I did fall cleanup for him and he gave me a 100.00 tip. Very nice people, very good to work for and very generous. I want to do a good job.
Old 04-11-2000, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if there isnt a big insect problem in the existing mulch i would leave it, spray round-up on any weeds and put down the new mulch<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-11-2000, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When renewing mulch, always check depth of existing mulch. Never have mulch depth exceed 4&quot;; I like to keep under that, like 3&quot; or less. If mulch is too deep, will cause root rot problems and can impede air and water penetration. If you are going to add 1&quot;, and depth is already 3&quot; - 4&quot;, remove some of the old first. <p>When adding new mulch, spread evenly at least 1&quot; deep to control weed growth.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
Old 04-11-2000, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

IF YOU WANT CHEAP INSURANCE FOR A GREAT LOOKING BED USE AT LEAST 2&quot; OF FRESH MULCH,AND GO TO LESCO AND BUY A BAG OF THEIR NEW PRE-M FOR BEDS YOU'LL LOOK LIKE A REAL PRO WHEN NO WEEDS COME OUT OF THE MULCH. ALSO ABOVE ADVICE IS SOUND REGARDING DEPTH OF MULCH...TOO MUCH IS NOT A GOOD THING.