Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-24-2006, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawn Renovation

I have a residential maintenace client who is having difficulty in establishing turf on their property. They have asked me to help them establish a lawn for them. I am looking for the best way to go about this. The site consists of a wooded area (lots of shade), turf that was very thin last year and now is very spotty after the winter season. Property is aprox. 12,000 sf. They are looking to use seed instead of sod to keep the cost down but are willing to try a 600sf area of sod to see if it will take. If we go with seed, how should we prepare the site and what type of seed should we use. The property is located in Long Island, NY.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stay away from sod. If youre in ny same climate as me i would sue seed. Sod is generally bluegrass i think in your area, it will die in 2 seasons in shady area. Everyone has thier own idea of what a rennovation is so take what i say and abosrb what you want . It works for us, i guarantee the job or money back, no one ever asked for ti back. For shady areas , Aerate 4 times. 6-8lbs seed per 1,000 , 70% tall fescues,15% morningstar manhattan III pern rye.15% linn peren rye. If the customer has money use Poa Trivialis (rough Bluegrass) and same mixture of rye. add starter fert , topdress and roll. with topdessinf seeds will be up 3-5 days ryes,8-12 days fescues. Keeep in mind no grass does wel in shade, BUT some do much better than others. All of customers with shady lawns get overseeded in the spring to replace grasses lost due to lack of sun, but a complete rennovation done properly with give it the boost to becaome actuall a lwan again. Talk him into trimming some branches or thinning out some bad or smaller trees to let more sun it also. Keep the grass hight 4 inches minimum, cut too ssort it will die out also. 4" grass will get dbl the sunlight as 2" grass. Hope this helps
Old 03-24-2006, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your help. I was actually thinking about using Poa Trivialis originally. I have suggested cutting down some trees and limbs. We'll see if they go for it. Should the existing spotty grass be removed before any work is done or can we do this over the existing turf (or whatever is left of it)?
Old 03-24-2006, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just go over the existing grass, I think it will all blend in once the seed matures, but i would strongly reccommned you let your client know that no grass does well in shade , just that some do much better than others, so its important to overseed it annually or every other year or else in 5 years it will look loke this again. a single aeration and seed is not a lot of money compared to the 1st rennovation so he needs to consider an annual overseeding as up keep and maintenance
Old 03-27-2006, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Chris, that helps. I appreciate it