Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-10-2000, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm curious why people decided to get into the lawn service business. The grass is always greener,( excuse the pun), doing something else. Some people are never happy in their present situation. Were you tired of working for someone else? Did you enjoy working outdoors? Did you feel you could make more money than what you were making previously? Was the prospect of the independence of running your own show important? Do you regret the decision to earn a living in this industry? Keeping in mind, short of winning the lottery somewhere, there is no free lunch. Every job/business has a downside. Be it long hours, physically demanding work, mentally or emotionally stressful work,rude and/or demanding customers etc. Comments appreciated.
Old 04-10-2000, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hmmm i just had a thought, that would be a great slogan <p>&quot; the grass is always greener &quot;<br>think i will put that on my flyers<p>----------<br>CJC Landscape Management<br>Winter Haven, Florida
Old 04-10-2000, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I went to college to study engineering.....<p>One semester I got a .10 OUCH.<p>Couldn't speak chinese and the smell of all the indians distracted me. (well, that and the smell of cheap beer and young freshmen ladies)<p>So I took up landscape contracting, and well, here I am..........<p>steveair
Old 04-10-2000, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why sit behind a computer and soak up radiation when you can soak up the sun shine before it will burn us all with the ozone wearing away. The outdoors are gods way. Gods way is not to sit inside you will just get old and not get as much out of likfe in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2000, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's the closest to farming that I can get and the returns are much better. I still have goats, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, cattle, and sheep but only enough to keep the kids busy.
Old 04-10-2000, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

21 inche commercial mower.....$900<br>Gas trimmer...................$350<br>Landscaping trailer...........$1100<br>Working outside and being your own boss<br>..............................PRICELESS<br>
Old 04-10-2000, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

wht got me interested? I'm an equipment junkie...I suppose. for years before I cut my first lawn (commercially) my big decision was to decide which lake to fish after work. I was always seeing those guys running that great equipment all over those lawns having great fun while I was in my &quot;which lake to fish decision agony&quot;. it was a real bummer.<p>then I got laid off. PRESTO! problem solved! now...no time to fish and I get to run some of that great equipment. WHO SAYS THIS LIFE AINT GREAT? NOT ME!!
Old 04-10-2000, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Had to get out of farming, due to the horrible farm economy. Worked the past winter as a mechanic, really hated working for someone else. So what could be closer to farming than mowing. And the freedom to be my own boss again, and be outside. That was all it took for me.
Old 04-10-2000, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

18 YEARS OF BEING INSIDE A FACTORY WAS LONG ENOUGH FOR ME! I BREATHED THE &quot;FACTORY AIR&quot; ALL I COULD AND WAS GETTING NOWHERE FAST SO AFTER WORKING THE BUSINESS PART TIME FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS I SAID LETS GO FOR IT! WE WENT, WE'RE THERE, W-A-OPEN EVERY DAY!<p>HOMER
Old 04-11-2000, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

After 5 years of college and 11 hours short of a degree in chemistry and industrial hygiene. Decided I really like to work outside. My first year of income is going to be close to working for a plant or consulting firm as an industrial hygienist, but I will only have to work eight months instead of twelve. Can't believe I did not go into this field full time earlier and wish I would have. I love the look of all my lawns when freshly cut, Instant gratification!!! I love my work now..<p>Ssouth<br>TLC, The Landscape Co.