Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-25-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Abandoned vehicles ...

I recently found a Jaguar and today, a bmw...

I always wondered if one can acquire (yes, legally) an abandoned vehicle. I did some research and there do exist forms via the DMV where one can apply for a title or transfer of ownership in the case of vehicles left on private property.

Both appear abandoned for good:
- The jaguar is in a lot I contracted and has no plates but some window decals expired 5 years ago... The tires are going flat but it has all the paperwork inside and other than no key, this one should convert into my name legally by filing VSA-40, "Affidavit of Compliance Under Abandoned Motor Vehicle Act". Ok, some rigmarole involved but it's not bad because it's on private property.

- The bmw is on the side of a public highway, no plates and slightly dented (possibly wrecked it right there)... Of course one would have to find out first if it is stolen but... It appears this one can't be gotten around because in order to file the VSA-40 form, one has to control the property on which the vehicle was left and there appears no legalese concerning public highway abandoned vehicles other than perhaps the county has to dispose of it.

As for me, the jaguar would be nice to restore but it needs some work. The bmw appears beyond what I would want to restore but I would love to have it for parts (same year and model of one I have).

Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Old 03-25-2006, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No direct experience but i would imagine if the car is left onprivate property, it would have to be YOUR private property in order to file the paper work IMO...
'99 Craftsman GT w/20hp V-Twin Kohler Pro, Automatic, Modified Triple Blade 50" Deck w/Electric Height Adjustment | '90 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Self Propelled Commercial Engine Mower | '75 Lawn-Boy 21" 2 stroke Push Commercial Engine Mower | 42" High Speed Lawn Sweeper | 48" Snow/Dozer Blade | 48" Core Aerator | 36" 400lb Lawn Roller | '98 Ryobi 790r 31cc 2 cycle Split-Straight Shaft Trimmer/Edger | Echo PB-200 Blower
Old 03-25-2006, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer
No direct experience but i would imagine if the car is left onprivate property, it would have to be YOUR private property in order to file the paper work IMO...
Yes, I would have to get the property owner to sign the form (I would pay the fee), then transfer the title (hence the rigmarole) but this has a chance of working seeing how it's a contracted property I service. If they want the vehicle gone and I do the legwork and other than a couple of signatures on their part (I get the tow), it costs them nothing while I get the car. It's at least somewhat win-win.
Of course it involves certified letter etc (but the paperwork is there so I should be able to do this).

As for the other part, I think I'm sol... It says:
The county, city or town, where a vehicle is abandoned may take custody of the vehicle. In order to do so, they must notify, by registered or certified mail within fifteen days (blablablabla). If the owner does not respond within the time allowed, the county, city or town may sell the vehicle at a public auction.

So public auctions, I guess...
ahhh forget it. I'll think about the XJ6 some more thou
Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In ohio, it would be 30 days on your property to calim staus of said vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
Full time college student> Landscape Design and Construction @ Kent State Salem

Help save planet Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't even know you could do that.
As quoted by fellow member or lawn god "Fareway"
We had the throttle cranked and we roostered tailed out of there.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just tow it to your garage and chop it up for parts . then leave it on the side of the road, or just take the parts you need right there in the parking lot .
Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Member

My wife's grandfather has ran a wrecker service for over 40 years. He picks up abandoned vehicles every week. He charges a fee for storage per day. It's like $20 a day or something like that. The owner may show up months later to get a HUGE storage bill, they have to pay a huge fee to get the car. Nornally they bring the cash so he makes a lot of $$$ off of these deals. or leave it with him. Occasionally he keeps one and fixes it up a little. I'm not sure what constitutes you originally towing the car, but it can be done.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:14 AM
LawnSite Member

JKOOP:
I think that your answer would be constituted as theft. Sounds like you could be one of those people that are out stealing equiptment trying to gain some jobs or just using the parts for your stuff. Just my opinion from your post, not cool.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelwn
JKOOP:
I think that your answer would be constituted as theft. Sounds like you could be one of those people that are out stealing equiptment trying to gain some jobs or just using the parts for your stuff. Just my opinion from your post, not cool.
I know your reply wasn't to me, but I had thought along those lines and...

I gave it a lot of thought... I mean, the car is abandoned so the devil may care but in the end I felt the same way you did: No matter how I looked at it, it's still a form of theft because I'm taking something that isn't mine. Even abandoned, if we, the general public are allowed to determine what constitutes abandoned, next thing you know any half-disabled car will get towed within hours by the opportunist.

Then there exists the problem of if I tow it to my own property that's all fine and dandy if I can dispose of it properly afterwards, I would be doing everyone a favor but that's the problem: You can't dispose of a vehicle that is not in your name. So what next, put it back out? Well that's not doing anybody a favor, I would only be helping myself to some parts off of something that really wasn't mine (so yeah, that makes me a thief).

So who determines what is abandoned, and who deals with it? On private property, the owner of the property is allowed this power.
But the county is the only body of authority that is allowed to deal with vehicles abandoned on public roads... Of course, by the time the vehicle goes up for public auction it will hardly be worth fooling with, but at least at that point the vehicle would recover (hopefully) fair market share, which covers the county's cost of dealing with it. It does make sense, if you think about it.

So, that's how it ends for me. But yes, you can acquire a vehicle left on private property so long you are the owner of said property (or if you know the owner, you can transfer it after the owner acquires it for you), there are forms you can file (and a certified letter, yes I think 30 days is the time frame) then within 48 hours of all that, the title is yours. Keep in mind the title is now branded which falls under the category of salvage and puts the vehicle in poor condition as far as resale value is concerned. If such a vehicle is restored, it would have to be re-appraised.

Last edited by topsites; 03-27-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelwn
JKOOP:
I think that your answer would be constituted as theft. Sounds like you could be one of those people that are out stealing equipment trying to gain some jobs or just using the parts for your stuff. Just my opinion from your post, not cool.
did you not notice the smile at the end of my post . all of my stuff has receipts.