Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

New kubota tractor transmission

Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a new kubota 4130 tractor, but I am a little undecided on transmission choice. I don't plan to buy a front end loader with it this year, but maybe in the future. Currently I need it for bush hog and tilling capabilities. I would also like to pull a five or six foot disc. I love the ease of the hydrostatic transmission, but will I be better off with the old gear type? Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Kubota tranny

I have had a bunch of tractors - Kubota included. I'm on my 3rd Kubota right now, it's a 4330 with full cab, rear hydraulics, all the implements you could imagine......
I prefer the hydrostatic 'cause it leaves my hands free to run the front bucket, adjust or work the rear hydraulics, talk on the phone, or change the stereo volumn......and still keep moving with just the use of my right foot.....
I don't think I would choose anything else other than hydrostatic. For me productivity is up, it's easy and what I am used to now...
Old 03-26-2006, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a hydrostatic Deere 4310 and have had a manual 2040. I personally think hydro is the best choice if you are going to use any implements that require adjusting or lifting. The newer hydros even have cruise control which really helps when you are mowing a field for ten hours straight (I know from experience!). They are very easy to use and you feel like you are more in control. On the other hand I really do like the old manual trannys because they are really fun to drive, especially with 12 speeds, but work comes before fun in my mind!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

GET THE HYDRO, Trust me on this one
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 03-26-2006, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

hydro all the way!

I'm on my second kubota hydro, A new B3030 HSDC with all the bells & whistles. My first was a B7500, that little 21 hp was indestructible, we overworked it year round, from overloading the 302 fel to snowblowing full throttle for hours on end. When we needed more tractor HP all around, there was never any question it would be another kubota hydro!
Old 03-26-2006, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just purchased a 1500 pound tow behind aerator. It was a deal I could not refuse. Anyway, I was concerned if it would be too much for my tractor to handle and for my hydro as well. I have a JD 3520 Hyrdo. Absolutley no problem.

You can't beat a hyrdo for productivity. I was a skeptic at first but I'd have a hard time buying a gear tranny. I would however want the gear tranny for long pulls under heavy load..........like breaking ground for planting.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peddler
Hey guys, I'm about to purchase a new kubota 4130 tractor, but I am a little undecided on transmission choice. I don't plan to buy a front end loader with it this year, but maybe in the future. Currently I need it for bush hog and tilling capabilities. I would also like to pull a five or six foot disc. I love the ease of the hydrostatic transmission, but will I be better off with the old gear type? Any help is appreciated.
Get the hydrostatic, you will love it!!!!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 03-27-2006, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks guys. I appreciate your input. I thought my toughest decision would be kubota vs deere, but after about 2500 dollars difference b/w comparable models the kubota choice was easy. I went to buy the kubota w/ hydro, but the salesman tried to steer me away from it since I wanted it for tilling and disc capabilities. Suddenly I was unsure what transmission to get. Can you tell a noticeable difference in pulling power with the hydro? I would rather have the hydrostatic, but I hate to buy a new tractor and be disappointed with it in a week or two.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will never buy another gear tractor, Hydro rules. (salesman prolly has to move NON hydros)
http://www.PlanetLandscaping.net "Helping keep Earth Green" We use Ford F550 powerstrokes ,Mistubishi cabovers,Kubota Tractors and Excavators, Scag turf tigers,Exmark Lazers,Wright Standers, Shindiawa, Redmax , Finn Hydroseeder's and a bunch of other goodies. International Assoiciation of Hydroseeding Professionals, President: .
Old 03-29-2006, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For farm work like it sounds like you're doing, the glide shift (GST) might be the way to go. You can shift on the fly without clutching, and even stop and shift to reverse with the shuttle without using the clutch. Hydro is the way to go if you're doing more construction type work, but if I were doing farm work I'd go with the GST.