Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIE
HA! That's not a lowballer...that's an ignoramous
That's no lie, although it is possible he's got connections concerning mulch, even then 10 yards of mulch would be hardly worth it at 200 dollars (nevermind all the extra stuff). It doesn't even matter whether he's licensed (and here in va insurance is not required so this is a moot point), fact is he's barely covering his cost, working for minimum wage.

For example... Here where I live we can get free mulch from the County, but let me warn you, it is a quality so low I wouldn't use it for my own house (being that my prop takes the backseat all the time), it's really bad, sticks and branches and rocks and even some household trash mixed in - you get what you pay for. Of course, you not only have to pick it up but you have to load it yourself.

The next cheapest I can get is a shredded fiber, very nice just not premium hardwood (but it looks good, very uniform, use it all the time). $12.60 / yard picked up (they load it for you). At this rate, it's 126 dollars just for the mulch.

Can this guy get a decent quality mulch for free?
That's the only way he can make a profit at all (and even then it's right down to the wire).

I think he's either new or desperate, and also it is possible he's high (or a combination). At this rate, he not only won't last long, but it's just as possible he does a crappy job or better yet, never shows up.
Old 03-28-2006, 03:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

this guy cant possibly stay in business
Old 03-28-2006, 05:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJLandscapes

most people who arent licensed or insured would never do a job that endangered anyones house or anyones life

Where do you get this? It's just stupid to run without license and insurance. If they're dumb enough to run without ins, what makes you think they're smart enough to avoid the high risk jobs?

Schwinn tricycle
11" Tonka push mower
Wal Mart Scissors
Old 03-28-2006, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Around here in NJ pretty much anything other than plain old grass cutting requires you to be registered with the state (Home Improvement Contractor Lic. Dept. Consumer Affairs). If you are not and have not submitted your application prior to Dec. 31st 05, you are in direct violation of the law and are committing consumer fraud. This requires you to at a minimum be a properly formed entity and carry a minimum of 500k gen liab.
Also, unless this guy has bulk mulch stored at his shop there is no way that he is even covering his costs. If he is using good quality mulch he is going to be paying $16 to $25 a yard depending on how much he buys. The customer told me he was using good quality black dyed mulch. I am thinking that the guys doesn't realize how much mulch he is going to need. He probably sees that there is some mulch already there. However, the beds need to be seriously cleaned out, the edge needs to be brought out and dug out creating more space to cover, trees and shrubs are going to be removed creating more space to be covered, and there are parts of the bed that are completely covered that he may have totally missed. Not to mention disposal costs.
That is just the mulch side of it. The fert/weed is whole different ball game.
I was half tempted to look and see when someone was doing work there and see if he is legit or not. I have few other accounts in the neighborhood, so I figured I could keep my eye on it. If not I could say something to him. However, I decided that my time is more valuable than to waste it worrying about someone that cut my legs from under me on a bid. Move on to the next one. It is just frustrating. Like I said this is only my second year, so I haven't had much experience with dealing with lowballers. Wifey said that we probably have ran it to it more than we realized last year. She said think about all the est. that we didn't land the job last year. It just so happens that this guy called to let us know about it.