Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2006, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"Removeing Gravel From Lawn"

What is the best and fastest way to get that gravel off the edge of the Lawn??
I used a Bp Blower
I was wondering about the sweeper attatchment for the wipper snipper
What do you guys think is the best way to tackle a job like this??
Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Power Broom, hands down
Old 03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

power broom if a lot and a longways to move it. Power sweeper if short distance and not to much to move.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

power broom is a good way, but for my own house, none of my clients, i use the shop-vac to remove the expensive gravel that belong back in the walkways.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use Shindaiwa's PowerBroom. Echo, Stihl, Red Max and others also have them. I used mine for 45 minutes today at a cemetery to clean up what the state snow plow left along the highway earlier this week. It's a lot better than a rake and shovel and doesn't damage the grass.
Old 03-25-2006, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Power broom without a doubt. You should see the crew going along a 1 1/2 mile stretch of Broadway here in the spring. All the sand and gravel from the winter plowing is back in the street again in less than 1 day. The town then comes along and cleans it up to use for the next winter.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Daner,
I have one of these for sale in the tri ad. 3' walk behind and just like new $1100 I never used it because it was too small for the properties we do.
http://www.sweepster.com/products_de...y3=&Category4=

This is what I use on the front of a JD 915 I mounted it myself.
http://www.sweepster.com/products_de...y3=&Category4=
Old 03-25-2006, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Incidentally, for all of us guys that USE the powerbrooms, since it is that time of year again, I would just like to give a helpful hint. When you mount your broom attachment, mount it upside down. You will be amazed at how much eaier the unit pulls than it pushes...especially for doing ditches. When you are oullig it, it just floats across the ground so much lighter, but yet is just as effective in sweeping. Just pull it back and let it "walk" forward. When doing broad areas, I work cross wise back and forth, with the unit slightly angled diagonally. I just walk back and forth, and it is amaing how much area you can cover like that. Like Rod said, it's the way to go...hands down.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner
Incidentally, for all of us guys that USE the powerbrooms, since it is that time of year again, I would just like to give a helpful hint. When you mount your broom attachment, mount it upside down. You will be amazed at how much eaier the unit pulls than it pushes...especially for doing ditches. When you are oullig it, it just floats across the ground so much lighter, but yet is just as effective in sweeping. Just pull it back and let it "walk" forward. When doing broad areas, I work cross wise back and forth, with the unit slightly angled diagonally. I just walk back and forth, and it is amaing how much area you can cover like that. Like Rod said, it's the way to go...hands down.
This is a good method and easier on the arms and body however, don't wear shorts, pants with holes, and remember to put your pantleg over your boot. Makes an absolute mess of yourself, eye protection is also a must.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LOL....Oh yeah,..if you're wearing shorts, you DO have to empty your shoes or boots when you're done. I never get that much throw of stones though, because I always found that it works most effectively at lower speeds, like approx 1/4 to 1/2 throttle.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.