Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2001, 06:03 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
My rear wheelwells are somewhat rusted in my motorhome and road grime entering the base cabs is an issue.

Any ideas on fabracating some tubs that can be welded or rivited in place from underneath the van?
Old 05-01-2001, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lawrence - wheelwell repair from underneath is going to be a pretty difficult task, especially if you're looking to fit a whole wheelwell in: tight spot to work in, plus the "road grime" you mentioned all over everything. Due to the fact that yours is a motorhome, I'm assuming that access to the wheelwells from inside will involve a lot of interior disassembly?

Obviously, it's hard to come up with a solution without seeing the actual van, but here are a couple of ideas:

Are the wheelwells pretty much "gone" or is the rusting located mostly where the wheelwell joins the floor?

If the wheelwell/floor joint is where it is rusted, it's probably feasible to MIG weld a sheet metal strip in place to cover any gaps. Whether or not the whole joint is rusted out, I'd run the strip all the way around.

If everything is basically "not there anymore" then the best plan of attack would probably be to again use a MIG welder and fab the tub in place, one section at a time. This will be a trial and error operation, and from my experience with rust repair, heavy on the "trying"!

Does anyone know if preformed replacement panels (such as the cab corners & rockers for Chevy pickups) are readily available for Dodge van rear wheelwells?
Old 05-02-2001, 10:19 PM
Banned

Location: anthracite valley, commonwealth of pennsylvania Winter residence: Charlotte County FLA
The area that is effected by rust is the vertical surface towards the inside of the van. About half way down this panel is a seam in the middle of the panel that is rusted right through. There is also a small hole (about 3 x 5") that is on a horzontal surface right behind the pass side rear wheel well that needs a patch.

I am going to have a local guy tack in some new metal to keep the rain and snow out of the coach.

Most of the lower body surfaces suffer from a bad bondo job.
Instead of grinding and installing new replacement panels I am thinking of buying new fiberglass skirting that the new class B motorhomes have as standard equipment.

Here are some links for the skirting I am refering to.

http://www.coachhouserv.com/index.cfm

http://www.leisurevans.com/frame.html