Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2006, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Doug, what size truck are you upgrading to?

I say that, because it may be more economical to buy a pintle hitch trailer versus a goosneck, especially if your considering a dump in your future.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was hoping that a 5500 would do the trick...dump bed with drop down sides...which is why I think/thought that the gooseneck would be fine. I want to be able to use the truck to carry supplies and not just be a dump truck, So I can kill two birds with one stone...dump when I need...flat bed when I need.

Your thoughts?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

another question

I've got another question along the same lines. I am looking at a 10k-12k bumper pull deckover trailer. First question will my 6.0 1 ton dumps have any trouble pulling it? Next what are the cdl rules in PA, am I legal under 26k combination? I am looking at either the Kaufmann brand or Appalachian brand trailer. Any thoughts and or experiences with either. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepawnshop
I was hoping that a 5500 would do the trick...dump bed with drop down sides...which is why I think/thought that the gooseneck would be fine. I want to be able to use the truck to carry supplies and not just be a dump truck, So I can kill two birds with one stone...dump when I need...flat bed when I need.

Your thoughts?
I'd go with a pintel hitch because there will be times when you want to haul a load of gravel or reject out with your exavator, and you'll save a trip.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OK, Jon, but what about now...WIll I still be OK pulling a tag along of that size? I was told that there is an incredible performance difference with the gooseneck over the tag style trailer....
Old 03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
5th wheel and Gooseneck are the same, aren't they...Like I said. I'm in the dark on trailers.
goosenecks use a 2 5/16 ball on the tow vehicle and a coupler on the "neck" that reachs 1 inch in front of the rear axle. the most popular hitch on equipmetn trailers and horse trailers. More off road friendly.

fifth wheel hitches use a saddle and jaws similar to a tractor trailer and a king pin on the trailer. they provide less flexibiliy for crossing ditches and such. these are usually seen on campers.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
OK, Jon, but what about now...WIll I still be OK pulling a tag along of that size? I was told that there is an incredible performance difference with the gooseneck over the tag style trailer....

like muddstopper said the gooseneck will allow more weight to be carried by the tow vehicle. They are more stable and you can jackknife the truck to get in tighter spots. The only drawback is if your truck is down you can only pull your trailer with a gooseneck equipped truck. Also a gooseneck is difficult to use with a dump truck and side boards. this is because of clearance turning.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by start2finish
Also a gooseneck is difficult to use with a dump truck and side boards. this is because of clearance turning.
Which is why I was going to get a truck with drop sides. But if the 3500 pulls fine, I could put that purchase off a good bit....

I have been looking, out of curiosity, at new medium duty trucks and if I am reading correctly, the Ford 450/550's are hard to beat.
Old 03-26-2006, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gooseneck vs Tag Along?

Jon, you just HAD to throw another variable into the "long term" viability debate. I know that goosenck is the way to go today...I just don't know about long term. If I do buy a single axle dump, will I regret the decision to go with a gooseneck? Tough one.

I really DO think I will have an easier time getting my CDL with a gooseneck. As I said before, a buddy of mine recently purchased a 10 ton tag along...perhpas I should try it out a bit (if he will let me) before I pull the trigger. They cost about the same thing....

Man, can ANY of these decisions just be simple and cut and dry?!?!?!?

Old 03-26-2006, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

a 10 ton tagalong is a very heavy trailer. What are you plans on hauling on it. we use a 7 ton gooseneck. as for muddstopper's statement on 10,000 towing making it a CDL requirement. He is from the same state I am, but my understanding is as long as your total GWVR is under 26,000 you are ok. This has been confirmed by enforcement officers and DMV. now if you have a 25,900(rated) truck with a 14,000(rated) trailer hauling a big wheel your are CDL, but if you have a 11,000 gwvr(rated 1 ton) pulling a 14,000 (rated) trailer you are ok. total 25,000