Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

giving mowing the bullet

im thinking about giving mowing the arse and just doing garden work.anything from pruning,muching, cleanouts,weeding,hedging and so forth have any of you guys done this and had more success
Old 03-26-2006, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Garth ole buddy.
I have never done lawn mowing as a 100% business and im sure it works in my favour.Especially with the past 5 years of drought i watched many guys go under while i was flat out.Plants still grow leaves fall rubbish piles up in yards while the grass is fried and turning to dust.
My mowing shop owners agree thats where the money is having seen mow only guys come and go for 30 odd years.
www.aqis.gov.au
Old 03-26-2006, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking about going strictly landscape and no mow. lots of potential out there for motivated folks.
Old 03-27-2006, 03:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuie
Garth ole buddy.
I have never done lawn mowing as a 100% business and im sure it works in my favour.Especially with the past 5 years of drought i watched many guys go under while i was flat out.Plants still grow leaves fall rubbish piles up in yards while the grass is fried and turning to dust.
My mowing shop owners agree thats where the money is having seen mow only guys come and go for 30 odd years.
i agree stuie ,low margin high burn out.**** im looking forward to winter
Old 03-27-2006, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Start in Lawn Care; make your real money in landscape work

Landscaping, Trimming, Mulching, etc. is WAY more profitable than mowing. We downsized our company recently and beefed up on consolidated residentials that are newer consruction, running 2 lawn crews. Then beefed up advertising our landscaping work and having one separate crew for that, which includes the owners. We do not cut the lawns anymore. However, you will not be nearly as successful in landscaping if you do not have a LOT of portfolio pics. Get a nice digital camera and take a lot of before, during, and after pictures. Then, just put them all on your iPod, organize them, and keep the iPod handy when you do estimates because you will be able to justify your price, by showing detailed pics of the job process. The common target mark-up on landscaping materials is 300% to get the price. Try to stay around there; better to go high than low on tough, laborous landscaping (hence the iPod). Obviously, there are less labor intensive and time consuming jobs that you will be able to take for 200-300% mark-up. Sometimes, if the materials are very low cost and the labor is more technical, knowledge-wise, you can get upwards of 500% mark-up.

Hope this helped!

Dave

Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

thanks lawn lizard for the post and the handy tip about the camera,thats something i have been thinking about
Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, mowing can burn you out by the time the leaves start to fall. The one thing I like most about maintenance is that the money is there every week. With landscaping, once the job is done you need another job. Yeah,yeah,yeah. "I'm busy ALL the time!" will be the response. I like 'scaping too, but when the economy goes bad people will always have the grass cut but maybe not have that new paver patio installed.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Member

I do agree with TurfLord, you should set up a smooth running lawn care crew, so you have receivables in the mail everyday. Gotta keep the cashflow going. You will not have landscape jobs one after another, and even if you did, you wouldn't be able to handle it, physically. Just get to the point where you pick them up often enough to give your bank account a boost for awhile. It's awesome to focus on a landscape job for a week, few weeks, or even a month, and then taking the equal amount of time off after the fact. That's only if you are not obligated to the lawn crew! All about structure and management. Work smarter, not harder. Have a great day!

Dave

Old 03-28-2006, 12:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't forget- mowing leads to other jobs. Reduce your mowing clients to just the ones that let you offer full service. Then keep adding landscaping jobs (some will come with mowing).
Old 03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

why not do all the services there are no companies here that do everything but mowing. The only part i see that is solo is land scape design but not installs they just design it for you

every LCO might do 80% huge jobs but all have atleast 1 route going around doing cutting.. You can have a crew go without you (need trustworthy workers )and put 1000 in your pocket or you are doing something wrong