Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-01-2001, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quickbooks Pro, Let me start by saying "Ugh"!My head hurts!
I've been thinking for the past few months about dropping $240.00 (Tax included) on Quick Books Pro. I convinced myself it is definatly the way to go. Right now the wife handles the books the old fashioned way. Paper and pen. She is doing a fine job but she is already working a full time job and if I did it on the computer it could relieve her of the duties. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than I do her using a computer much less do accounting tasks on one. Anyway........I bought it the other day. How many of you use this thing for all it has? Tracking expenses, setting up a checkbook and all the other stuff. I started by setting up my customers and doing invoices, that seems to be OK but when I started getting heavy into the tracking this and that I found I may be in over my head. Just wondering if ya'll found the same trouble, I hate not to get the full potential out of this great program but I kinda have my hands full "working" let alone working when I get home till 2:00am. Ya know what I mean.
Let me know your thoughts.
Raymond
Old 05-01-2001, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't get the Pro version yet, for the reasons you mention...no time to track hours spent. In the next year or two, when I'm doing less (or none) of the manual labor, I'll probably buy it so that I CAN track job data to the penny.

But quickbooks is great. Makes payroll and taxes and other filings a breeze. I can't imagine not using it.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ditto's I sent my copy back to them. To much time to set everything up. I had a lady set me up a invoice and data base in the works package in my computer. I think it will help out for now. When i get bigger and had payroll I might get some type of booking keeping program. But for now I will stick with pen and paper.

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 05-02-2001, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Microsoft works also, it works great for me, for invoices it prints everything out, amount due, what for, customers name and add, and mine on top, all i have to do is slide it in a 2 window envelope. and i have all payments and expences and customer lists on as well, in databases, along with my contract and price quote sheet.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using QB ever since the days of DOS.(8yrs). The only thing that I use qb for is invoicing, budget, checking and exense reporting.

Sure you can use it for payroll, but i think it's much better to use a payroll service. That's one thing that you don't want to full around with.

I stayed away from time tracking of each client just because I know how much time I already spend per client. I've only been doing my route for over 20 years....

Computers and programs are only good if you give them the information. To me, time tracking is a waste of time. Just bid a job high enough in the first place.
John
Old 05-04-2001, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

QBPRO

Been a user since 1996. Can't say it is the best way to go but proably the cheapest. You may as well forget about trying to track job times. Work on tracking your income an expenses. You have found the big drawback with this program. You have to stay up all hours to get your work in the system. Then spend all hours printing invoices, Statements, etc. Best thing I can say is go slow. Make it simple. You can go back and add pretty much anything you want at any time to any section. I can proably answer any specific questions. click on the "www" and E-mail me a phone number. We'll talk. Good Luck.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use QB Pro 2001. I don't use the time tracking feature, but the like the ability to create estimates which the Pro version offers.
*whew* I remember the intial set-up back in 1996, but thankfully I only had about 35 accounts at that time. I guess you would have all the set-up hours with about any bookkeeping software.
At any rate... I like QB Pro, it works well for me.
There are no stupid questions... they're just the easiest to answer.