Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Member

lighting a flagpole

Rencently I had a client that wanted his 21' flagpole lit with low volage lighting (currently lit with a line voltage flood). I was thinking of putting
2-50mr16/10 degree towards it. At 20' with 1 mr16 50w I would have 27 footcandles/beam spread of 3.5'. Is there anything that recommends what something should be lit to (footcandles) or is it a trial and error issue. I'm not sure flag dimensions but i'm sure 3.5' spread should cover it.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardlites
Rencently I had a client that wanted his 21' flagpole lit with low volage lighting (currently lit with a line voltage flood). I was thinking of putting
2-50mr16/10 degree towards it. At 20' with 1 mr16 50w I would have 27 footcandles/beam spread of 3.5'. Is there anything that recommends what something should be lit to (footcandles) or is it a trial and error issue. I'm not sure flag dimensions but i'm sure 3.5' spread should cover it.
Flag etiquette does not specify foot candles of illumination. It just says that the flag will be illuminated. I think that 27 footcandles will be quite sufficient to do the job quite well. When you checked the photometrics, did you take into concideration that you will have some overlap of light? I think that you will have even more than 27 footcandles. You might only want to use 35 watt lamps.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-26-2006, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks paul
If it were dropped to 35w I would get around 20 footcandles & I do realize with two mr16s there would be overlap of light thus increasing footcandles to flag. Not considering flag etiquette would this be too much light. Back to trial & error or experience.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I guess it would be more of a trial. If there is other ambient lighting in the area, you might need more light. If it is out in the country, you might need less. I have dealt with clients that want the flag to be very bright and those who just want "some" light.

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
President, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-28-2006, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had the opportunity to light a few flags at different heights. If you have any wind in your area you may want to consider triangulating your light.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second Beartooth's triangulation suggestion. 3 Uplights will cover the flag at rest or full wave. 3 35w lamps should be enough, but as Paul stated, you may need more.

Kirk
Old 03-28-2006, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think using three 35 watt 12 degree (FRB MR-16) lamps would work fine spaced equidistant apart as Beartooth mentioned if your flag is not much over 5 foot wide.

Sam IV