Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Question Competition

Hello, I have a question on how to deal with an aggressive Landscape Co. This guy is very aggressive on trying to take our work, and work from other companys, he does not have a pesticide license, he has told me all his employees are related to him, he has showed up on one of our jobsites trying to get one of our employees to work for him, is there a way to check that he is legit on his payroll taxes and State Comp? Should I start going after his work? I have never had to deal with this type of situation before.....
Old 03-26-2006, 04:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just let him screw himself over, of if you know he's not licensed to be doing pesticide apps, and he is doing them, turn him in to the dept of agriculture. other than that, I dont have much to offer in advice.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just find out where one of his jobs are and what time he goes then have the State Ag drop by. If I ever have someone start taking my jobs by low ball then that company will have one bad year, I would go to every job that they have and low ball them, then when they are out of biz raise the prices back up, its win win. I can be VERY aggressive if need be especially with people who are not legal. But if they are legal, weeelllll I would do nothing to aggressive. Good Luck!
Old 03-27-2006, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had similar situations before. I have been trying to get a commercial property for 2 years. I mow alot of residentials around it, while a big named company mows the comericial one I want. The owner of the business finally relaized that I have better looking properties than they have. I also get alot of bigger companies do try to take alot of my stuff every year(same companies that I dont like), but since im smaller, i can get alot of more done and looking good. Compared to a large company that has a giant list for a employee who wants to finish easyto go home.
Hope that made sense.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatewayuser
Just find out where one of his jobs are and what time he goes then have the State Ag drop by. If I ever have someone start taking my jobs by low ball then that company will have one bad year, I would go to every job that they have and low ball them, then when they are out of biz raise the prices back up, its win win. I can be VERY aggressive if need be especially with people who are not legal. But if they are legal, weeelllll I would do nothing to aggressive. Good Luck!
Good Advice!!!!

fluid film- the official sponser of sflqpru
Old 03-28-2006, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to fimiliar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtmon
Hello, I have a question on how to deal with an aggressive Landscape Co. This guy is very aggressive on trying to take our work, and work from other companys, he does not have a pesticide license, he has told me all his employees are related to him, he has showed up on one of our jobsites trying to get one of our employees to work for him, is there a way to check that he is legit on his payroll taxes and State Comp? Should I start going after his work? I have never had to deal with this type of situation before.....
Welcome to the Lawn Game! Only the strongest and toughest will survive.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

hire the lawncare mafia to "speak" with him. lol.

SFLQPRU President

L.G.U.!
*iowaflag*
:sfl flag:
Old 03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well if you are this worried ask him to buy you out and go to work for him. if , not just run your own race, do what you do well and you need not worry about the "other guys". if you are resonable and do quality work the other guy is never a conceren
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 03-29-2006, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Do your own thing

I think if you do your own thing and concentrate on defeating him with quality work at a good price eventually you will prevail. It will take patience. But I have work done on vehicles and equipment not by the cheapest but what I consider to be quality work and a fair price for this work. He might be in business but does he have to smarts to STAY in business.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Member

All very good advice, I had two people, both good sources tell me that they have also heard that he is not paying his employees ligit, and cheating on workmans comp, I have no problem with fair competition,is there a way to bust him on the payroll and comp issues?