Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

legal or illegal?

I know this is talked about a lot on the boards but I can't find an answer to this, I'm going to check usps's site to see if I can find anything for sure but lets see if anyone knows this (for sure).

Putting flyers out, and I've been putting them in the paper slot of the mail boxes or in the actual paper box's that the local paper has. Haven't gotten any calls from the post office yet and I put the flyers out a week ago so I think I'm good to go but just want to make sure before i put this next batch out.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2006, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

as long as it is not inside the Mailbox you are ok I put mine on the outside with tape
Old 03-26-2006, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I called the postmaster too make sure
Old 03-26-2006, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just stay away from the box and the flag. technically, yes. the way it is written, it IS illegal, but I don't think they are going to split hairs.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just emailed the usps, going to call tomorrow. Like I said in the email, the slot is used for newspapers which do not have postage and are not affiliated with the USPS...so technically I should be allowed to put a flyer in that slot too. We'll see what they say I guess.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have to watch out if you do a half fold or a tri fold of you flyer the paper will jam it to the back and won't be seen. Yes, try and tape in in so the paper will just slid over it.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am pretty sure it is illegal to put flyers anywhere on or in the mail box. Now with that said it really depends on the mailman, he will be the person who turns you in. I usually just ride along with my 14 year old son stopping at mail boxes while he puts flyer in the flag. But there is 1 neighborhood in my area that i will not do this because the mailman is a real pain. I have problems with him even when i am cutting a yard, he is always complaining about where and how i park my truck and Trailer. He has also turned me in for putting flyers on the mailbox in this community before. That is why i put them in the doors in this specific community. Although they can fine you for putting them on the mailbox, they will most likely call you and tell you not to do it anymore.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Got an email back and they're basicly saying it's illegal for a flyer without postage to touch any area of a mailbox or anything supporting the mailbox (pole, any part of the structure). So basicly the local newspaper is commiting a crime every day of the week by using the "paper slot" that are built into mailboxes...

I was going to call the local office and ask about that but I don't feel like getting in a fight today.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc2006
Got an email back and they're basicly saying it's illegal for a flyer without postage to touch any area of a mailbox or anything supporting the mailbox (pole, any part of the structure). So basicly the local newspaper is commiting a crime every day of the week by using the "paper slot" that are built into mailboxes...

I was going to call the local office and ask about that but I don't feel like getting in a fight today.
You know.. this just really gets me. It's another good example of the crappy gov. in this country though. YOU pay for the mailbox. YOU pay for the post. YOU pay for the time to put it up. YOU pay to maintain it. When I get a check in the mail from the USPS for $300 (which is what I would estimate it cost for our steel post and concrete and install), then they can tell me what the heck to do with it. And if putting stuff in the newspaper slot is illegal, why doesn't the USPS file suit to stop sale of mailboxes with newspaper slots built into them? Might as well just give every American a free camel and a tent.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will have an answer soon since I work for the USPS. This is a technical question and as far as I am concerned I see nothing wrong with placing them into the NEWSPAPER portion of the box. Will keep you posted.