Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

spring cleanup of a warehouse?

I gotta call from and elderly couple today about a warehouse wich they own. i went to see it earlier.They want someone to remove all the dirt wich has accumalated on the floor.
its a decent layer of dirt wich was left to build up for about 6 years. They also want a moderate amount of trash thrown out. It was formerly a diesel repair shop. The building consists of three shop areas about 1000sq feet or soeach which i thing you could fit two 18 wheelers in each shop
three office type rooms and a parts room wich isnt that bad, just needs trash removed. The trash consists of several small oil drums wich are scatered everywhere. And lots of small oil containers and various shop related refuse. I calculated that i can do the job in about 8 hours with the help of three other laborers whom i pay 10 an hour. I bid the job at 450 and called them earlier and they said they would get back to me tommarrow. They are planning to sell the property and are trying to tidy up for the new owners. Was this too much to charge, if so what should i charge?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds like a sticky situation, an old repair shop i be real careful with especially with those containers could be dealing with hazardous materials. you don't know whats in those drums. in most states you need to be a licensed special waste contractor to do that work. if it turns out that stuff is contaminated were are you going to put it after it's in your posession? what if the chemicals in the drums spilled on the floor and your laborers come into contact with a hazardous substance? does your insurance cover this kinda thing? be carefull.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

for three guys thats not enough bc thats 24 man hours. i would of charge 960 for it.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernsvc's
sounds like a sticky situation, an old repair shop i be real careful with especially with those containers could be dealing with hazardous materials. you don't know whats in those drums. in most states you need to be a licensed special waste contractor to do that work. if it turns out that stuff is contaminated were are you going to put it after it's in your posession? what if the chemicals in the drums spilled on the floor and your laborers come into contact with a hazardous substance? does your insurance cover this kinda thing? be carefull.
the containers are oil drums they were used as trash cans
Old 03-26-2006, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

my bad i think i read it to quickly.