Register free!

Old 03-27-2006, 04:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Toro Dingo

Anyone in here do alot of work with a TORO Dingo? I'm thinking of buying one and getting into it over the lawn care but am worried about not making enough, but then again, since there arent a whole lot of people doing just mini skid steer work, maybe I'll make alot...any input? Thanks
Old 03-27-2006, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Member

It's an excellent piece of equipment. It's small size is a double edge sword - on the one hand you don't need to buy a heavy heavy trailer to carry it, it can get into much tighter places, doesn't do nearly as much ground damage. On the other hand it is limited its capacities, and speed. There is a nitch for I'm just not sure if it is a piece of equipment you'd use everyday
Old 03-27-2006, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Inside the specialized range of light-weight applications it was designed for, it does rule. It's awesomeness is outweighed some, thou...

The reason you don't see many dingos is because a new one costs 30 thousand dollars (the cheap one) ... Most of the accessories (auger, hoe, etc) cost another thousand or more, each.

It is so light that unfortunately, there are some things it just can't do.

I would say you're not the only one dreaming of owning one, but I dare say the price and limited range of apps holds most of us back.
If I were sure I could find my niche with it, I'd have three of them easy

p.s.: If it's skidsteer work you're interested in, consider getting a small tractor. It's not as maneuverable, but you can get a slightly used small tractor for as little as 6 thousand (in pretty decent shape). Of course, you'd need a double-axle trailer for most of them.

Last edited by topsites; 03-27-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The Dingos do not cost $30k for just the machine. My 2005 TX420 tracked dingo cost $15,100 with the light materials bucket. Then start adding on the price for the attachments, if it is hydrolically operated then expect to pay at LEAST $2,000 for that attachment.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rent your Dingo instead for starters, like we do to this day!
Are you sure you are charging enough to incl. eqpt.maint./rental/lease/replacement, ins., licens'g, marktg., mat'ls., payroll, legal, permits, postage, customer retention, safety eqpt., taxes, telephony and uniformed work clothes into what you do everyday to last you the next 10 years ?
Ted Nugent: "God, Guns and Rock & Roll"; "The 5 Boxes of Freedom": Soap, Ballot, Witness, Jury, Cartridges Citizens, Jurors, Voters, Volunteers.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Somm

If you were to buy a Dingo or any other mini skid for that matter you would find yourself using it everyday that you are not mowing lawns. Last year after I got mine the only days that I did not have it on my trailer was the two days that I mowed. They are extreamly usefull and I am always finding a new use for mine.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilla Gorilla
Somm

If you were to buy a Dingo or any other mini skid for that matter you would find yourself using it everyday that you are not mowing lawns. Last year after I got mine the only days that I did not have it on my trailer was the two days that I mowed. They are extreamly usefull and I am always finding a new use for mine.

ditto
i use mine almost every day..
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 03-28-2006, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Can a Dingo handle moving trees around..i used the powerhouse version once and it struggled with 5'-6' Norway Spruces. I am assuming the Dingo is better. Very curious about moving 8'-10' White Pines with good size root balls. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Dingo, and can not remember how we ever got along without one. We have it on the jobs all of the time and use it throughout the day just about every day. That said, I can not see how you could justify buying one just to do "Dingo work" for people. Unlike a tractor, the advantage to the Dingo is that there is an attachment for just about anything you need to do (except go to the restroom). As for renting out your services, I gotta think a small tractor would see more demand.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Well I was thinking of selling off a good amount of my lawn care equipment, keeping enough to do my jobs and special high paying services (aerating, etc.) and then buying a dingo and getting into the landscaping and then maybe pick up a skidsteer. Think I could make over $50K a year doing this summers (landscaping) and weekends (mowing)? I currently do about $10-15K a year mowing part time by myself. I'm only 17 so I don't think that's too bad. Thanks ya'll