Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2006, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

New faces

It's Spring again and all the new faces are showing up. You know who I'm talking about. Your seeing the sign pop up right about now. The new trucks and custom designed logos that you've never seen before. You know someone got bought up. Usually some kid just out of college with the quick talking salesman approach. Usually gone in three years when they finally get out of that underbidded condo contract. This thread is for the companies that have held tough over the years. Big or small, no matter. The companies that have learn the skills needed aquired only through experience and are still here. O.k assuming it's a kid is wrong, I've seen more mature individuals throw money around, do cr@ppy work, and disappear. The way to grow in this biz is to start off small and humble and grow through experience, not buy your way in with a "buisness plan".
Old 03-27-2006, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURFLORD
It's Spring again and all the new faces are showing up. You know who I'm Usually gone in three years when they finally get out of that underbidded condo contract.
Actually, if you make it 3 years, there is hope...did ya mean 3 months???
Old 03-27-2006, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've noticed a 3 year cycle too, unfortunately for every guy calling it quits there are 2 more saying "I can do that!"
Old 03-28-2006, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was wary of posting this, I thought it would generate more flame than it did. My intention wasn't to rip on anyone, just make an observation. Many lco's have come and gone over the years in my area and only a few veterans are still around. It seems that the "movers and shakers" always shake apart after a brief time. The two major lessons in this game are learn the market and learn the customers.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I looked through my pennysaver and their are 30 different LCOs in their. Mostly with spanish names. Its been harder getting more lawns but their are still a few of us small time american guys in here.

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 03-28-2006, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMFD92
I looked through my pennysaver and their are 30 different LCOs in their. Mostly with spanish names. Its been harder getting more lawns but their are still a few of us small time american guys in here.
Lets hope that Bill passes!
Old 03-28-2006, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's not just the spanish guys, I did a quick scan in the classifieds this morning and under services/landscaping there must have been 25 names. I counted about 10 of them advertising LOWEST PRICES. By the time July rolls around most will be gone and the customer will be looking for someone else. Always a good idea to advertise or offer referral bonuses. Matt
Old 03-28-2006, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottscape
Lets hope that Bill passes!
yea man its pretty harsh but I still found myself coming out on top. I service most of the richer sections of town and those customers appreciate quality and seem to hire the right people. Its still hard because all those guys are willing to charge cheap.

masonry and landscape services for the lower hudson valley
Old 03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
yea man its pretty harsh but I still found myself coming out on top. I service most of the richer sections of town and those customers appreciate quality and seem to hire the right people. Its still hard because all those guys are willing to charge cheap.
Why is it that rich people appreciate quality but poorer people don't. Why is it that lco's assume that people who charge less must not do quality work.

Bill
Old 03-28-2006, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Great post................ for a 17 year old KID. I wonder how many people were whining when they saw you 4 years ago with your bike and a lawnmower. When your older you will see that there are different classes of lawn & landscape companies. The customers you get depends on which class you are in.