Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-27-2006, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

CRAZY Idea???

I was thinking the other day how much fun it would be to open up a landscape/lawncare business out west, England and Australia here in a few years. Think how great that would be, England never has droughts, Aus summer is our winter, and the west is growing fast. You could go and run it for a couple years until it got settled in then have someone that you trained up to that time run it for you. I could go on trips there and it would be a tax wright off, I would go to each one for 2 months a year and have profit sheets, payroll copies, and invoice copies emailed to me every month. I am seriously thinking about doing this, I does not sound too crazy to me.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

how could you find someone to run a busness for you, that would make you money. when they could just do it for themselves. every man i have trained to the point that i could let them lead, they do but for themselves
agri metal strawblower
more power and hand tools than i haul
Old 03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My 25 year old brother is almost to the point that he could run one his self for me. It would be a risk to take just like anything.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I presume to understand that when you refer to out "west" - you are actually referring to other continents?
There are several reasons why your idea isn't feasible nor practical:
-different countries have vastly different importation issues regarding materials, what is commonly available here in the USA is not elsewhere.
-different countries have vastly restrictive laws/regulations regarding foreign ownership/management of businesses actually conducted in host countries - you do not have enough money to set up a legal entity.
-costs, labor is radically different in other countries as well as dollar to host currency valuations.
-education, to relocate and initiate a business the host country demands proof of education and requisite ability, at 18 nor for that matter 25, you wouldn't qualify.
I understand these issues relatively well as I spent several years traveling the US and Asia constructing golf courses. I have dealt with foreign, host country regulations enough, no more gray hair for me.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Anything is possible if you have the determination and bank roll. Don't let anyone here on this board or elsewhere bring you down because they could not do it.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Out West means Arizona etc.
I would run the business and live in the foreign country for a year or more so I would learn how to do everything, I would also take schooling there if need be.
I would not import supplies because the same things that are popular here may not be there, its the same way for different states too.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce_ent
Anything is possible if you have the determination and bank roll. Don't let anyone here on this board or elsewhere bring you down because they could not do it.
Is this your many years of experience speaking?

I traveled throughout the US and Asia building golf courses for more than five years. I stopped due to hostile working conditions in countries you would have difficulty finding on a map.

I absolutely lived what the Gatewayuser is blithely posting about, and for the reasons, among others, I mentioned - it still won't work.

Foreign student attendance at quality two and four year universities in the US are at a all time high. For one reason - the Horticulture and Agronomy taught here in the states is vastly superior to anything else.

Now, if the Gatewayuser wants to head west into a different state, and operate in a completely different climate zone with completely different species of turfgrass and plants - hey - go ahead. This is what makes life in the USA so neat.

A more feasible process would be to enroll in a Horticulture or Turfgrass Agronomy program, go through several internships to assist in aiding areas of specialization and interest, then armed with the education and experience, market a business to a specific niche - great idea.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD
Is this your many years of experience speaking?
Yes it is... and I will leave it at that.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gce_ent
Yes it is... and I will leave it at that.
I believe you did when your profile displays a big Zero.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD
I believe you did when your profile displays a big Zero.
Actually I was refering to business experience. I openly admit I have no lawn care experience.