Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Gatewayuser,

To get back on point if that is something you want to do then I say go for it. Do not let someone ruin your dream because they could not hack it in other countries due to whatever reason. Companies live and die by the amition of those running it not because of "hostile" work conditions. You adapt and play by their rules and learn their means and ways. Many U.S. companies thrive overseas regardless of the conditions.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWD
Is this your many years of experience speaking?

I traveled throughout the US and Asia building golf courses for more than five years. I stopped due to hostile working conditions in countries you would have difficulty finding on a map.

I absolutely lived what the Gatewayuser is blithely posting about, and for the reasons, among others, I mentioned - it still won't work.

Foreign student attendance at quality two and four year universities in the US are at a all time high. For one reason - the Horticulture and Agronomy taught here in the states is vastly superior to anything else.

Now, if the Gatewayuser wants to head west into a different state, and operate in a completely different climate zone with completely different species of turfgrass and plants - hey - go ahead. This is what makes life in the USA so neat.

A more feasible process would be to enroll in a Horticulture or Turfgrass Agronomy program, go through several internships to assist in aiding areas of specialization and interest, then armed with the education and experience, market a business to a specific niche - great idea.

I already have the education certifications and experience, why would I go through an internship when I already own a very successful company and have had great teachers and mentors.
Old 03-28-2006, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I like the Disney story. He had already made Disney Land a success and then secretly looked into some swamp land in Florida. He had decided that he would ask 10 people that he really respected in business and trusted thier opinions. 9 out of the 10 said it was crazy. But one said that he could do it. So with that he created Disney World. Not only is Disney World a success, but don't you think Tampa, Orlando, St petersburgh, etc., etc. do pretty good? How could anyone tell anyone else that they can't do something? If you believe it you can achieve it! Go in with a plan, stay focused, determined, unwavering and SUCCEED!!!
7 X 14 Enclosed V-Nose trailer
8 X 18 open trailer
Murray 21 in push mower (ole faithful)
Echo Weed Eater
Echo Blower
Echo Edger
Stihl chainsaw
Stihl extended shaft hedge trimmer
Old 03-29-2006, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Gday from Australia!
Yell if you need some help Plenty of us around here.
Might be able to help out on the UK too worked there about 15 years ago.

Me im looking at Thailand for a business venture!!!
www.aqis.gov.au