Register free!

Old 03-27-2006, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Converting existing lamp posts

I have a client I am going to meet with soon about doing a very large lighting project. They have existing high voltage lamp posts near ends of the driveway and she expressed intrest in tying these into the system. They are on internal photocells now (yes I know I would have to bypass these).

My question is should I rewire the entire post with LV cable or can I just unscrew the phto cell and bypass it and use the existing wire inside ? There is an existing junction in the one post so both posts are wired to the same line.

pitfalls to look for ? I will have a licensed electrician avalible during the 120 outlets installations.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Scapes
I have a client I am going to meet with soon about doing a very large lighting project. They have existing high voltage lamp posts near ends of the driveway and she expressed intrest in tying these into the system. They are on internal photocells now (yes I know I would have to bypass these).

My question is should I rewire the entire post with LV cable or can I just unscrew the phto cell and bypass it and use the existing wire inside ? There is an existing junction in the one post so both posts are wired to the same line.

pitfalls to look for ? I will have a licensed electrician avalible during the 120 outlets installations.
Billy, you shouldn't need to rewire the first post. How far is it to the next fixture?

Paul R Gosselin, Sr., CLVLT(#0632)
NightScenes Corporation
Director, AOLP
www.night-scenes.com
www.facebook.com/NightScenes
Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would think you could attach to the wire that comes out the bottom of the pole? I have never done that before but why couldn't you do that? Maybe run 1 wire to each pole? Just some ideas.
#wuzworthit
Old 03-28-2006, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I will have to see when I get there. Its just lampposts in the lawns for now. Im going to propose doing a nice rock scape or something similar.

I might need to see about using that line voltage to have an outlet put in. If we do more than the 2 lampposts im going to have to hide an underground transformer out there. Its about 400 ft from the house.

Will post some pics when we meet again.

If we do just the post they are about 25-30 ft apart. I could feed both posts without doing a bore If I just removed the line voltage wire and attached my LV cable.